The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Darklight

Red colouration under skin of loph?

I degrafted one of my smaller lophs this year, it wasn't happy on the Myrtillocactus for some reason, possibly a bad graft. Atm it's just drying out, waiting for the weather to warm so I can plant it.

It's got this red colouration in a single patch near the base, but not on the surface of the skin, more like it's peeking through underneath the skin. It doesn't photograph well, doesn't show up much or I'd take a picture.

Did a search here for possible causes and came up with nothing, possibly I didn't use the right search terms. I vaguely remember some post about this aages ago but can't seem to find anything

Is it likely to kill the cactus or should I ignore it? Anyone know what it is?

howdy DL,

this may be way off, but it sounds similar to something darcy spoke about happening to his l. diffusa a while back, from memory it might have been too high humidity causing fungal problems.

Is that kind of along the right track darcy?

sorry, can't be of much more help. Hope the little fella picks up.

Thought about grafting to a t. pachanoi?

Is it out of strong light? maybe it could be a little sunburn.

[ 04. August 2004, 15:41: Message edited by: gerbil ]

darcy:

i've been losing a few lophs to this red rot. Sometimes it consumes the whole cacti, sometime it goes into remission. It can look like a red spot on the outside but it goes thru the whole cacti.

Yeah, I threw one out that it was about 1/2way through

Not sure if it's a bacteria, fungus- or do cacti get viruses? Think it's soil borne- the one in the next pot shows no sign of it, fingers crossed

DL, just wait until spring to replant and see how it goes. I actually don't know if it is a fungus or a bacteria.

Thanks cob, will do :)

re Fungus or bacterium

a few notes - yes ive lost all the peyoyte that have been lost from this same darn rot and i agree it goes dormant then explodes again with stress

I havent seen any sporulating structures on it unlike the thing thats getting my kratom (pink stalks)

and it does spread in a radial pattern

It doesnt respond well if at all to any fungicides used

The idea its a bacterium may well be correct

we could use some DMSO or inject it with some antibiotic perhaps? some are taken up from the soil easily enough and could be watered in but that does raise pollution concerns

some are quite persistent in plant tissues and a dose every few years might do it if we need to mainatin our plants is areas of high risk.

Of course we dont eat our peyote so theres no harm