The Corroboree

I've been stuck in hotels for three days, enduring endless sessions of happy clapping sales and management workshops.

Before this ordeal, I was required to complete a series of 25 questions which were then used to create a profile of my personality, and character traits. During the workshops I was given a report on my "results".

Much as I'd like to say it's all bullshit, I was actually surprised at the level of accuracy in describing my modus operandi. Shocked even. 

The whole point of this exercise was intended to display what type of behaviours I exhibit in defined situations, and then to explain how it's possible to use different behaviours in situations to achieve certain results. Normally I find this type of pigeonholing demeaning and reductive, however I've decided this is actually a valuable tool for self reflection and development. What was evident is that there was a "conscious" score and another score which showed the "unconscious" score. The difference between the two is supposed to demonstrate how we perceive ourselves vs how we may actually be. My score was exactly the same for both, so I guess that means I answered as honestly and openly as I could on the questions.

I have felt like I'm a bit stuck for quite some time. I have known for some time that everything that happens to me is my responsibility, but also felt powerless to avoid some outcomes, because, you know, I yam what I yam.

Maybe I'm not. I've revisited some valuable reading such as Dr John Lily's "Programming and metaprogramming: the human biocomputer" lately and maybe a few pieces are falling into place finally. 

Personality traits are a routine we use that we have learned over time. They don't define us, we can choose to use them in situations consciously or choose to use other "programs" that may actually serve us better. Its funny that normally I'd be highly skeptical of "insights" like this that came from such a corporate place. If this information came to me via a psychedelic vision in the past, I'd be sold. 

I think it goes to show that "the work" can be channelled via the most unlikely places sometimes, despite our best efforts to filter them out. Corny as it sounds.

Keep an open mind, but not so open that the wind whistles through your ears...

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Glaukus said:

Keep an open mind, but not so open that the wind whistles through your ears...

:worship:

• Like 1

I believe that at our cores we are little more than perception and will.  We perceive reality and have the will to change it.

Now if someone were to obtain the means of perception such as education, tv, the newspapers, movies, stockmarkets, etc. they could make us believe anything we wanted effectively shaping our reality.  If a certain group of people were supremely effective in obtaining this power over the masses it would result in the majority of us being little more than sheep to them making tests like what you took make complete sense to the end user as it would be obvious what the results would be to those in power.  To them it would be little more than a numbers game where 1 +1 = 2 and you'd be floored at getting the correct answer.

So the question then is how do you set yourself free of this programming? Truth be told many a person has gone down that path and hated not only what they found but themselves as a result.  Sometimes it's easier just being a sheep and accepting your reality at face value because a happy lie is often perceived to be better than a harsh truth especially when you follow it to it's logical conclusion.  Have fun going down the rabbit hole if you seek it but don't say I didn't warn you that like tripping you're not going to get what you want but what you need and it's entirely unpleasant.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Glaukus said:

What was evident is that there was a "conscious" score and another score which showed the "unconscious" score. T h e difference between the two is supposed to demonstr ate how we perceive ourselves vs how we may a ctually be. My score was exactly the same for both, so I gu ess that means I answered as honestly and openly as I could on the questions.

Did they survey your work colleagues?

6 hours ago, Slocombe said:

Did they survey your work colleagues?

Everyone in the room got a report. There were some people who had markedly different conscious and unconscious scores. 

14 hours ago, Ethnoob said:

I believe that at our cores we are little more than perception and will.  We perceive reality and have the will to change it.

Now if someone were to obtain the means of perception such as education, tv, the newspapers, movies, stockmarkets, etc. they could make us believe anything we wanted effectively shaping our reality.  If a certain group of people were supremely effective in obtaining this power over the masses it would result in the majority of us being little more than sheep to them making tests like what you took make complete sense to the end user as it would be obvious what the results would be to those in power.  To them it would be little more than a numbers game where 1 +1 = 2 and you'd be floored at getting the correct answer.

So the question then is how do you set yourself free of this programming? Truth be told many a person has gone down that path and hated not only what they found but themselves as a result.  Sometimes it's easier just being a sheep and accepting your reality at face value because a happy lie is often perceived to be better than a harsh truth especially when you follow it to it's logical conclusion.  Have fun going down the rabbit hole if you seek it but don't say I didn't warn you that like tripping you're not going to get what you want but what you need and it's entirely unpleasant.

I disagree that at our core we are perception.

Perception is a filter that we use to fit incoming data into our personal model of the universe.

I think what we perceive bears very little resemblance to the true nature of reality. Our range of hearing is limited to a very narrow band. Our vision is able to detect wavelengths between violet and red. We perceive sound as being separate from vision only because of the organs in our bodies which detect a narrow range of wavelengths. In actuality, both sound and vision are all part of a spectrum of wavelengths. 

Memory also is affected by our personality filters. We can both witness the same event and have different memories of it, as it passed through our filters and was shaped by them. Does this mean we actually changed reality by storing a memory? As far as our personal cosmos is concerned, I guess the answer is yes.

To answer your question of how do we set ourselves free from programming? I think the first step is having awareness that we are operating within a program. Once you recognise a pattern of behaviours, you are able to exercise choice. Without the awareness that a program is running, you are under it's control.

• Like 4

Perception is a semantically loaded word to begin with so it makes the debate difficult to begin with.

But if "Perception is a filter that we use to fit incoming data into our personal model of the universe" then we are in fact perception 'at out core' because we can't get outside of it. Indeed the idea of having a core is a concept of perception, what Kant called the 'unity of apperception', which is the unity of our experience which is an a priori requirement for any knowledge of objects and about which self we can have no deeper knowledge that it is thing which perceives.

Now Kant did not deny the existence of external objects and things, which he called noumena, but argued that human beings can only have knowledge of phenomena, which arise through the (unity of ap)perception (again it's slightly the wrong word) which has senses which are affected by impressions and an understanding which modifies them (gives them form) into appearances. Thus we only know the world as appearance (phenomena) and never the world as absolute (noumena).

The 'true nature of reality' is not knowable for human beings, only human worlds are knowable. There may be some entity that can directly intuit noumena (things-in-themselves) but we are not one of them.

Kant put will into the field of ethics, as a modality of human knowledge that relates to action in the world of appearances.

I just thought i'd chime in cause you guys seem more or less on the same track.

As for programming, there are certain human modalities (like time, space, causality) we are locked into as a requirement for perception of objects, and I don't think we can un-program them. But if the human world is a world of appearance, and particularly when we go beyond objects into the world of pure ideas (like theistic or anti-theistic concepts, the immortality or not of soul) then we have a necessity to be indoctrinated in a sense, by opinions. In the Althussurian sense, we don't live free of ideology but here we do have the will to choose, but historically humans have a tendency to remain embedded in the system they are raised in, for better or worse, and ever now and then there is a moment of radical change when social minorities or undercurrents overturn the system, often precipitated by some environmental change (sound familiar).

In any case, i enjoyed the story of the personality test and like the idea of dual conscious-unconscious scoring system.

• Like 3