The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Darklight

EB4 Research and Project Panel- your chance to contribute

'Mornin all!

We've allocated a presentation session on Sunday afternoon for a Research and Project panel, a forum-like open discussion on ethnobotanical achievements various people have made in the last year, the problems and visions they have, what they'd like to see for the future.

This is being done specifically to encourage people to initiate more investigative work, to network and pool skills and resources and to share in the joys and woes of the process

Most people in the ethnobotanical field have a pet project or an idea they'd like to see made flesh, and there is a wide range of skills within the community to draw on. For those who accept the challenge there are stumbling blocks ( as with any work ), and the panel can offer the benefit of their own experiences while general discussion may offer solutions to some of the ( seemingly insurmountable but often quite direct ) impediments that anyone contemplating long term work labours under

Pet EB projects for discussion don't necessarily have to be scientific in emphasis- they can be social, group oriented, community based, environmental or take any number of imagined forms. IMO the structure they usually take is a long term and systematic committment to a particular goal, with the aim of producing concrete results of some kind.

We have a few positions left open on the panel specifically available for conference attendees who aren't presenting other conference sessions this year. If you feel any of your ethnobotanical projects this year have made real progress, and are happy to discuss and share the results in public, then get in touch with us at [email protected] and register your expression of interest and briefly outline the nature and progress of your project

Those amongst us who can't face being up the front are very welcome to formulate questions and discuss current projects from the comfort of the audience :)

[ 27. November 2004, 14:24: Message edited by: Darklight ]

So what are you all interested in??

I can think of a few things id like to spend 2005 and beyond looking into

1)Possibly Psychoactive cacti with constituents other than mescaline

My aims : collection and cultivation

long term project

2) Arid land indigenous psychoactives

Plants ustilised in magic and ritual in Australias semi-arid regions or species with pharamcological profiles or relatonships to known drugs and medicines

examples

Pituri, tobacco, codonocarpus, Acacias, Geijera brachychiton, Tribulus, Isotoma etc..

My aims : collection, cultivation and bioassay

Have : seed and some samples

3) Rainforest indidgenous and native psychoactives

Galbulimima, Tabernaemontana orientalis and sp.,

location and seed sample collections,isolation and analysis, cultivation, bioassay.

My aims : collection cultivation and bioassay

Have : some samples

im not proposing any topic tho till i get some good feedback from a few others with an existing interest who like to collaborate.

I also dont know what to say about it all as apart from collecting materials i havent done much

what info i do know is very sensitive (some localities of uncommon plants not in cultivation) and i dont think it should be public at this time

feedback sought