The Corroboree
Marty Achuma

'Entheogenist' as Religion on Census Form

My view is that a religion is any practice, behavior or action which leads an individual to a spiritual experience.

Therefore on tonights cencus form I have stated my religion to be 'entheogenist'. As this is the way that I most often experience a spiritual connection. Nature is also prominent however classical psychedelics are an integral part of the experience. 

Do you think the term 'entheogenist' is too broad as could include cannabis or even alcohol?

Is your definition of religion different?

• Like 1

fuck the census

• Like 1

Really negative post edited. Sorry.

Edited by wert
negativity.

Perhaps "pop-entheogenist" would have been better. Hindsight aigh.

This was posted in the religious section and the questions were about religion not the census. "Like sands through the hour glass" ;)

The Oxford definition of religion is;

"The belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods."

More importantly in Australia the legal definition of religion is poorly defined because there have been few cases which test the definition. As seen on the Australian Bureau of Statistics site http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/[email protected]/0/775012EF0058A77DCA25697E00184BDC?opendocument

There are a number of formal and informal religious groups in Australia that use a psychedelic, principally Ayahuasca, but also other psychedelics.

Back to the contentious census and spirituality, this news story has some relevant info http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/religionandethicsreport/spiritual-but-not-religious-what-the-census-wont-say/7699694

So is undertaking spiritual practices really practicing religious freedom?

Some may say that it doesn't matter as religious freedom is not expressly guaranteed under Australian law. I believe that it definitely is due to Australia being signatories to international law. Case law is also relevant but there is not much to go by for this issue. 

No no thats stu's religion up there.

• Like 1