The Corroboree
deadwaitfalls

looking for someone to teach

I started off learning plant i.d. by doing a few things. I volunteered at a local community nursery that grows native plants. I bought a book of native plants specifically for my local area, went on numerous bushwalks, collected/photographed species and identified them using the book and the internet. I also did a tafe course - not the whole course, just one unit on plant i.d (which was awesome as the teacher was a bush food freak).

Then I did a full tafe course, and I knew as much as, if not more than, most of the teachers about plant i.d. After that I went to uni and now I have a degree, but by that time I knew more than any of the lecturers did regarding plant i.d., so much so that they hired me (I'm not bragging, they were awesome in their respective fields).

My knowledge is pretty specific though, as plant i.d. is such a HUGE field. I am only now starting to identify certain exotic species which have interest to me ethnobotanically (not necessarily as entheogens), for instance easy to grow food plants which are not 'mainstream', fibre plants etc. My passion is ethnobotanicals, and I grow whatever 'bush foods' that can survive in my climate, and am also collecting exotic ones such as jicama, cassava, madagascar bean etc

Good luck with your learning....and take advantage of the vast wealth of knowledge that is the internet :)

• Like 3