The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
ryballs

Rivea corymbosa will not flower.

I have been growing a Rivea corymbosa or ololiuhqui plant for about 5 years now. It is planted on a WA farm in a semi-arid climate. The plant is HUGE and has has covered about 20SQM. But for the life of me I can not get this thing to flower. I have tried adding a fair amount of phosphate over the years but still no flowers. If anyone has any tips on getting this beautiful creeper to flower I would much appreciate it.

got mine planted out for 3 years and it did not even grow much...

I suspect this plant likes to be spoiled, if not grown under ideal conditions.

If you're not willing to wait until it's ready to flower on it's own then only a couple of ways I could think you could make it flower:
First is to try waiting until it's correct flowering season and hurting it i.e. change the soil pH so it starts suffering from a nutrient deficiency and thinks it's going to die.
Second get yourself some plant hormone flowering agent and dose it up.

Not great advice but don't know what else to suggest.

I planted mine and left it to grow on fence flowered in the first year and then often after that i just moved the fence a fe months ago and tried to transplant and it died but its seed is still sprouting so i have new plants underway.

Potassium and phosphorus feed might help.

My rivea was grown from seed and is roughly 3 to 4 y/o. I put some lattice up and ever since it has gone mental. It literally can grow a foot per day if not more when its on a spurt which is generally mid summer. I got flowers about 4 months ago but no seeds. Im not sure what that means as im not botanically minded but of course still fairly active in participation. I heard somewher they dont lay seed in Perth. Not sure where i heard that and what the biology of the plant is. Ie self seeder or it needs pollination etc. Would be great to know more about Perth grown or general rivea info that might be of interest.

I've got a vine at the moment that I received as a seedling, it's within 1-2 YO now, though flowered and set seed not long after the year mark.
The plant's had no special treatment from me, lives in a 30cm pot (though had put roots into the ground), kept the water up and that was is. Never fed it apart from the occasional slow release fertelizer. So I guess the conditions just must have been right