The Corroboree
Gollum

Free Bhut jolokia seeds

***All Gone****

Hey guys, I have 5 packets (2 left) of Bhut jolokia seeds to give away. There are about 25 seeds per pack.

Pm me with your address and i'll post them out.

First in best dressed. :)

All gone. Heading to post office tomorrow.

Be warned, they are bloody hot. Might want to prepare by putting your toilet paper in the fridge. :lol:

Edited by Gollum
  • Like 1

Awesome, thanks heaps mate : )

Sweet as, or should I say burning hot!!

Thanks

yes please :)

Great work with the give away Gollum. Awesome stuff.

When you have some time, do you have any tips for germinating the Bhut range?

if still available id love some! Chilli's are amazing!

Happy to help out. BabaBudh and EssEllbee, I'll try to scrounge some more if i can find them. You might have to wait a bit. My plants are just starting to produce a flush of flowers so fruit should follow soon. Keep an eye out in the near future for another give away.

I have grown my plants from small seedlings, not propagated from seed as yet. I got this info from the chilliseedbank.com.au

Germination - starting chilli seeds

1. Heat

Like all seeds, chilli seeds are reasonably easy to germinate. Initially their main requirement is heat. Obviously it is best if possible to keep the seeds indoors, if not in a house or garage then at minimum in a greenhouse. Even when they are in a centrally heated house there are things you can do to maximise the heat. Try putting the seed tray in warm spots such as on top of the fridge or in an airing cupboard. Alternatively you could buy a heat pad from a garden centre and place the tray on top. This will ensure a constant warmth is supplied to the chilli.

2. Moisture

During germination, moisture helps the seeds by softening the pods from which they sprout. Pre-soaking the seeds in warm water (not hot) prior to planting in compost can help speed up the germination process. If you have the seeds in a warm area as suggested in tip 1 above be sure to not let the planting medium dry out. Try and keep the medium moist to touch but not wet. A small water mister is best to use rather than pouring water straight in to the seed tray.

3. Planting

You can plant the seeds straight into individual pots however a seed tray will allow you to plant more in a confined space. Fill the tray 3/4 full of fine compost (sieved if possible). Then add the seeds in straight lines leaving about 5cm between seeds. Next sieve over another 3-5mm of compost. Be sure to label the seeds if more than one variety is being grown. Place a cover over the tray and place somewhere warm.

4. Thinning Out

The seeds should sprout after anything from a few days to a few weeks. You should try and leave the seedlings in the seed tray until they have sprouted their first true set of leaves (the second set that appears). It is a good idea at this time to throw away any weak looking plants and only pot on the strongest plants. This of course depends on how much space you have available to grow them, just remember they take up a lot more room once they are fully grown plants!

Hope this helps out a bit. Happy growing :)

Happy to help out. BabaBudh and EssEllbee, I'll try to scrounge some more if i can find them. You might have to wait a bit. My plants are just starting to produce a flush of flowers so fruit should follow soon. Keep an eye out in the near future for another give away.

I have grown my plants from small seedlings, not propagated from seed as yet. I got this info from the chilliseedbank.com.au

Germination - starting chilli seeds

1. Heat

Like all seeds, chilli seeds are reasonably easy to germinate. Initially their main requirement is heat. Obviously it is best if possible to keep the seeds indoors, if not in a house or garage then at minimum in a greenhouse. Even when they are in a centrally heated house there are things you can do to maximise the heat. Try putting the seed tray in warm spots such as on top of the fridge or in an airing cupboard. Alternatively you could buy a heat pad from a garden centre and place the tray on top. This will ensure a constant warmth is supplied to the chilli.

2. Moisture

During germination, moisture helps the seeds by softening the pods from which they sprout. Pre-soaking the seeds in warm water (not hot) prior to planting in compost can help speed up the germination process. If you have the seeds in a warm area as suggested in tip 1 above be sure to not let the planting medium dry out. Try and keep the medium moist to touch but not wet. A small water mister is best to use rather than pouring water straight in to the seed tray.

3. Planting

You can plant the seeds straight into individual pots however a seed tray will allow you to plant more in a confined space. Fill the tray 3/4 full of fine compost (sieved if possible). Then add the seeds in straight lines leaving about 5cm between seeds. Next sieve over another 3-5mm of compost. Be sure to label the seeds if more than one variety is being grown. Place a cover over the tray and place somewhere warm.

4. Thinning Out

The seeds should sprout after anything from a few days to a few weeks. You should try and leave the seedlings in the seed tray until they have sprouted their first true set of leaves (the second set that appears). It is a good idea at this time to throw away any weak looking plants and only pot on the strongest plants. This of course depends on how much space you have available to grow them, just remember they take up a lot more room once they are fully grown plants!

Hope this helps out a bit. Happy growing :)

Thanks mate. Is that specific to the Bhuts or will that method work with any chili seeds?

I believe it will work with most chillies. Bhuts are from north east india and neighbouring Bangladesh, a pretty hot climate so i imagine bottom heat while germinating would be greatly beneficial.

Another bit of info-

Scientists working for the Indian military have created a non-toxic weapon to use in the fight against terror, using a special local ingredient — the world’s hottest chili the bhut jolokia.

This pepper is hot. Very, very hot. In fact, it’s listed in the Guiness Book of Records as the world’s hottest chili, and on the Scoville scale (used to measure spiciness) the bhut jolokia rings in at a mouth-melting 1,000,000 Scoville units (comparatively, the spiciest variety of jalapeno registers at 8,000 Scoville units).

However, these won’t be served up in a curry delivered to the doors of unsuspecting terrorists. Scientists are working with the Indian army to create chili grenades, using the seeds of the pepper to create a smoke bomb which could be tossed in to immobilize hard to reach terrorists and insurgents.

Of course, this isn’t the first time chilis have been weaponized, with pepper spray being the most common application of food warfare.

Now, the powerful chili is to be used in a series of non-toxic weapons developed by scientists at India’s Defense Research and Development Organization, to immobilize suspects and also to create a smoke screen that will prevent snipers from using night-vision devices. The effects of the “curry bomb” are much kinder than ordinary weapons, allowing the enemy to be captured without long-term injury.

RB Srivastava of India’s Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) told the BBC that early test show that the bhut grenades will be very effective: “It will immobilise them but not kill them… Its pungent smell will force the target victim to throw up and the eyes will burn like hell, but all without any long-term damage.”

The BBC also points out that a small number of people will not react to the pepper’s spiciness at all. Anandita Dutta Tamuly, a women from Assam, India demonstrated her tolerance for the pepper in 2007 as she consumed 51 bhut jolokias in only two minutes.

While chili peppers are known for their health benefiting properties, this variation certainly packs a punch. With the fiery jalapeno measuring 8000 Scoville units (the scientific measurement of a chili’s spiciness) the bhut jolokia measures a staggeringly hot 1,000,000 units.

I have also seen farmers use it as a elephant deterant. They mix the crushed chillies with a sticky mollassus and smother pieces of cloth with it. Then they hang it around the perimeter of their farms and crops. Its said to be effective at keeping the odd hungry elephant out of their veggie patches. Cool eh?

• Like 1

Oh and BH i haven't forgot about the tiny 'Nergos' chilli seeds i said i will send to you. My plant is just about to flower so should have some fresh seeds for you soon.

Oh and BH i haven't forgot about the tiny 'Nergos' chilli seeds i said i will send to you. My plant is just about to flower so should have some fresh seeds for you soon.

Cool mate. No rush. I had forgotten all about them.

I am still working on finding a good deal on the Butch T's. $300 is way too expensive. When I find a good deal I'll send them to you.

Nice, ill be growing some of these this season, thanks for the writeup Gollum, very useful info there.

@ BF how many do you want? I think I read elsewhere recently you were looking for 500? But cant find the thread. I have some T Scorpion seeds here that I grew last year. They were initially from the chilli factory stall at a chilli festival in Canberra that a mate of mine attended. I have good reason to believe they are butch T as I thought that was the only strain the chilli factory sold.

Anyway, I have put my seeds in the ground for this year, and other than wanting to keep around 10 or so as a backup I could offer you the rest for trade if you like? I haven't counted them (and don't plan to)! one by one, but from estimation I would say there would be anywhere from 150 to 200 in the bag I would think.... That should be heaps, we were getting shopping bags full of them from 4 plants last season.

I have also put some "brain strain" down this year too with minimal seeds (they measure reportdedly up to 2 mill on the scoville scale), so hopefully I will have a buttload of those seeds down the track!

Edited by Opticaldelusion

Mine arrived today.

Thanks very much. :worship:

I have some of these babies growing at the moment, only about 3 inches high. Cant wait to make some killer home made chilli sauce! Ill be sure to share my chilli collection around when i get some fruit happening :)

@ BF how many do you want? I think I read elsewhere recently you were looking for 500? But cant find the thread. I have some T Scorpion seeds here that I grew last year. They were initially from the chilli factory stall at a chilli festival in Canberra that a mate of mine attended. I have good reason to believe they are butch T as I thought that was the only strain the chilli factory sold.

Anyway, I have put my seeds in the ground for this year, and other than wanting to keep around 10 or so as a backup I could offer you the rest for trade if you like? I haven't counted them (and don't plan to)! one by one, but from estimation I would say there would be anywhere from 150 to 200 in the bag I would think.... That should be heaps, we were getting shopping bags full of them from 4 plants last season.

I have also put some "brain strain" down this year too with minimal seeds (they measure reportdedly up to 2 mill on the scoville scale), so hopefully I will have a buttload of those seeds down the track!

Awesome mate Thanks. I'll PM you.

Do you breed your chillies in tents or are they mutants?

Arrived today. Thanks heaps man. And thanks for all the info you've provided in this thread too :)

No probs, I live to give :innocent_n::lol: