The Corroboree
Bread Filter

Help Save My Catha's

Can anyone offer some input as to how I can save these Catha Edulis plants?

I recently bought 2 narrow leaf, 1 red and 4 Hybrids that have been living in my lovely tropical bathroom. The narrow leaf and red plants are fine but the 4 hybrids have shriveled and dried out. Is there any ideas on what I can do for these?

rescuek.jpg

Also if anyone has some Catha's for sale please let me know and I'll snap them up.

If they've been indoors in a bathroom, you may have fungus gnats.

Or they're just too wet. Wet soil etc. Khat is from Africa, which is probably a lot drier than your bathroom.

Edited by Alice

If they've been indoors in a bathroom, you may have fungus gnats.

thanks for the tip. There is nothing visible on them and the rest of my plants in the bathroom are fine.

I was under the impression that they didn't like humid conditions BF. The info I was given was to let them dry out between waterings & that they can handle frosts, it'll kill their new growth but not old growth.

Good luck mate & just to let you know, I really appreciated the phleb seed... :wink:

I was under the impression that they didn't like humid conditions BF. The info I was given was to let them dry out between waterings & that they can handle frosts, it'll kill their new growth but not old growth.

Good luck mate & just to let you know, I really appreciated the phleb seed... :wink:

Thanks mate. That means a lot.

The other Catha's are thriving in the bathroom. They can usually handle frosts but I lost all of my outdoor Catha's this season as we had a particularly nasty winter.

you sure have done something wrong.

a very sad picture, i'm shocked.

they probably, hated your potting mix, i guess your pottingmix burned them all to death.

i cared for those plants for a very long time, and they were in top condition, when you got them, it's heartbreaking to see them like that, my babies...

get them out of that potting mix and use searls seedraising mix instead!!!

if you do that, than maybe they survive and will re shoot.

the only thing i can say in your defence is, that over fertilizing is a very common beginners mistake.

they were super healthy plants, one can still see how, even old leaves still, grew happy on this plant.

Edited by planthelper
  • Like 1

maybe the wrong thread to be asking, but PH, would topping them at a much earlier stage have been more desirable to cause branching & bushiness?

they look tall & spindly to me, but what would I know?

maybe the wrong thread to be asking, but PH, would topping them at a much earlier stage have been more desirable to cause branching & bushiness?

they look tall & spindly to me, but what would I know?

no, the more you prune them early the weaker the growth get.

if they would have been pruned, they would look spindly and thin.

THEY WERE VERY STRONG PLANTS, zelly don't make people have second doubts.

and yes, you are very insensitive, this was not the right moment.

if you prune them, they revert to earlier growth stages, something which naturaly you want to avoid.

you are a pain for me zelly, i hope this makes you happy.

Edited by planthelper

you sure have done something wrong.

a very sad picture, i'm shocked.

they probably, hated your potting mix, i guess your pottingmix burned them all to death.

i cared for those plants for a very long time, and they were in top condition, when you got them, it's heartbreaking to see them like that, my babies...

get them out of that potting mix and use searls seedraising mix instead!!!

if you do that, than maybe they survive and will re shoot.

the only thing i can say in your defence is, that over fertilizing is a very common beginners mistake.

they were super healthy plants, one can still see how, even old leaves still, grew happy on this plant.

I haven't done anything to them except put them in Yates premium potting mix. They haven't had any fertiliser.

Same with the 2 NL's and the Red. They are in good shape.

if a plant looks like yours, and this 5times, it's clear that the same mistake was done many times.

and i think your pottingmix burned them.

this pottingmix can release a lot of fert, complain to yates!!

why do you think, you did the right thing with them, just because 2 survived?

they might die in the future.

this is ridiculous, i don't have the nerves to try to help you again and again, and you just don't learn.

IT COULD BE, FUSARIUM OR ANOTHER SOIL BORN DISEASE ASWELL.

ANYWAY, IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ME!!!!!!

none of my cathas ever did that.

Planthelper's plants are good, at least those I have seen. The ones in the pictures looked like they were extremely well developed, and healthy. My guess is that they were very rootbound, causing them to dry out quickly - more quickly than the Reds, which can take quite a beating, as can the Narrow Leafs when mature. Mine are constantly wet/dry and they love it.

HOWEVER.

The potting mix may have been the problem, sometimes it can dry out or get wet quicker than the rootball, the plants look well watered but suddenly suffer from drought - then a combination of wind/sun can cause a plant to go very crispy very quickly - I would say this happened, unfortunately.

Bread Filter, you need to remove all of the crispy leaves, make sure the rootball is wet but that excess water is draining off, then leave the plants in the sunn and see whether they re-shoot from the base or possibly buds develop on the stem. It might be okay if you move fast and stop the water loss immediately.

• Like 1

Cut the leaves off but leave the stem intact. If you want to check, unpot one and see what the rootball is like compared to the surrounding potting mix, if it ios completely dry then I am right - if not, then still cut off the leaves and leave in the sun to regrow. Catha's are tough, they can come back from serious dry very quickly if you take care.

Also, if you are worried about the new mix, then pot them down - put them back in the original pots. Mine have been in 140mm for several years and they are brilliant. They can handle it, just watch the water situation. Did you mess with the roots when you repotted?

ww, you make a good point here and jerked my memory to say:

problem is, yates premium sucked all the moisture away from the original free draining mixture.

bf, do what i said at the beginning, re pot them, IN SLIGHLY LARGER POTS, WITH SEARLS PREMIOUM SEED RAISING MIX!

if a plant looks like yours, and this 5times, it's clear that the same mistake was done many times.

and i think your pottingmix burned them.

this pottingmix can release a lot of fert, complain to yates!!

why do you think, you did the right thing with them, just because 2 survived?

they might die in the future.

this is ridiculous, i don't have the nerves to try to help you again and again, and you just don't learn.

IT COULD BE, FUSARIUM OR ANOTHER SOIL BORN DISEASE ASWELL.

ANYWAY, IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ME!!!!!!

none of my cathas ever did that.

Excuse me? What are you talking about? Why are you getting stuck into me?

What have I ever done to you except spend a lot of money on your plants?

Are the leaves crispy, or soft?

They don't look wilted from being too dry, they look wilted from being too WET.

Planthelper's plants are good, at least those I have seen. The ones in the pictures looked like they were extremely well developed, and healthy. My guess is that they were very rootbound, causing them to dry out quickly - more quickly than the Reds, which can take quite a beating, as can the Narrow Leafs when mature. Mine are constantly wet/dry and they love it.

HOWEVER.

The potting mix may have been the problem, sometimes it can dry out or get wet quicker than the rootball, the plants look well watered but suddenly suffer from drought - then a combination of wind/sun can cause a plant to go very crispy very quickly - I would say this happened, unfortunately.

Bread Filter, you need to remove all of the crispy leaves, make sure the rootball is wet but that excess water is draining off, then leave the plants in the sunn and see whether they re-shoot from the base or possibly buds develop on the stem. It might be okay if you move fast and stop the water loss immediately.

Thank you very much for your advice whitewind. It is very much appreciated.

They were very root bound when I received them and I had to tear the roots out of the bottom of the pot to get them out. I'll do what you advice and report back when it has been done.

Are the leaves crispy, or soft?

They don't look wilted from being too dry, they look wilted from being too WET.

They are super crispy. They definitely haven't had too much water.

What is the consensus, bigger pots or smaller? I am getting conflicting information here.

Excuse me? What are you talking about? Why are you getting stuck into me?

What have I ever done to you except spend a lot of money on your plants?

what?

i take all the time to try to help you, and you say i get stuck into you?

if i'm upset, than it's because, you believe you done everything correctly, but you haven't.

ww and myselfe are probably right with our advice, if i am grumpy it's no wonder, because you still don't seem to understand.

you always just say, but two are ok, like you did alright, and it's my fault.

and what do you mean a lot of money?

those plants were very cheap for the size and quality, and you didn't even pay for postage as was agreed.

i'm generous and that's what i get for it, nothing but trouble.

Since you have disturbed the roots, I would say slightly bigger pots than the originals, not too big though, and go with the Searles seed-raising mix too, as PH said. This is a good sandy mix with low nutrients so you won't burn the roots, and should be well drained too, make sure your pots have holes in the bottom too.

I think crispy means they have dried out at some point, probably not from disturbing the roots too much healthy plants can tolerate a lot of root damage, but maybe from that mix you used. I hate commercial mixes and when I find one I like they tend to change the recipe a year later and I have to find a new one. Searles is good if you can get it, my local GC sells Debco which is okay too, but sometimes variable. Yates I used once and I didn't like, it seemed really good at first (hyper-nutrient hit) but the plants wouldn't root into it and ended up going backwards. Maybe for nutrient loving ornamentals, like roses. I don't know. I like the sandier, less barky mixes with low nutrients and I add what I want to them. They last so much longer.

Okay, so you cut off the leaves, repot in to seed-raising mix and water well, then wait. Check daily to see how the soil is going, it's an art to find out how quickly they dry out especially in variable weather so you have to check daily, in summer twice daily and more if it's extremely hot / windy. But at this time of year in the sun and no leaves; probably won't need to water daily, but checking will get you used to how the soil feels as it dries out. Then give a really good water when the soil feels "nearly dry".

When new buds start, add some 50% (very weak) strength liquid feed to your watering once every two weeks to get things moving.

what?

i take all the time to try to help you, and you say i get stuck into you?

if i'm upset, than it's because, you believe you done everything correctly, but you haven't.

ww and myselfe are probably right with our advice, if i am grumpy it's no wonder, because you still don't seem to understand.

you always just say, but two are ok, like you did alright, and it's my fault.

and what do you mean a lot of money?

those plants were very cheap for the size and quality, and you didn't even pay for postage as was agreed.

i'm generous and that's what i get for it, nothing but trouble.

You are getting stuck into me. That's easy for anyone to see. Should we get some mediation?

It is 3 plants that haven't died. 2 NL and one red. The 4 hybrids are the ones that have died. Where did I say it was your fault? Please quote my statement for me.

I have spent thousands of dollars with you over the last couple of years. You told me I was your best customer. Do you want me to list the plants I have bought from you?

I am sorry but this is the first I have heard about the postage claim. How much do I owe you? I will transfer it right now. I have your bank details as you are in my regular payee list.

I contacted you about this but you didn't give me any advice.

Edited by Bread Filter

Hi guys, I think there's been a misunderstanding - Planthelper, I don't think Bread Filter is accusing you of misdeeds, it's clear your plants were strong and healthy, and Bread Filter - Planthelper loves his Catha and he wants to see them do well, also he is very proud so he gets upset if he thinks people are accusing him.

The written word is a bit easy to misunderstand, it always looks more aggressive than the intention, I think.

• Like 3

you never said, it's my fault, but onlookers could think so.

please lissen, all this hype, made me at least hyper active and now i know exactly what you should do, and it's whitewind who jerked my brain.

my mixture (dries out fast), and yours(dries out very slowly) have totaly different water holding capaceties.

cathas hate that. do as followes:

take them out of the pots, remove most of all the soil, without hurting the root too much.

than repot with searls seed raising mix.

like this right away water will be available to the roots!

edit: ww recommands prunning, which i could agree with, as it aswell, will help the plant.

little water is available right now, so prunning will make that little water go further.

bf, ignore everything said, apart from ww and me.

do this aswell with the survivers!!

sorry for my grumpyness, i just got upset seeing my babies die. and on top zelly is making it look, for beginners, like prunning would have saved them.

Edited by planthelper
  • Like 1

you never said, it's my fault, but onlookers could think so.

please lissen, all this hype, made me at least hyper active and now i know exactly what you should do, and it's whitewind who jeked my brain.

my mixture (dries out fast), and yours(dries out very slowly) have totaly different water holding capaceties.

cathas hate that. do as followes:

take them out of the pots, remove most of all the soil, without hurting the root too much.

than repot with searls seed raising mix.

like this right away water will be available to the roots!

I have just checked my records and I offered to pay for the postage but you said "no, it's all good!"

I have just checked my records and I offered to pay for the postage but you said "no, it's all good!"

that's correct, i gave it away cheap, and than even cheaper, and said it's ok.

but you say here, you spent a lot of money!

maybe a lot, but not regarding what you recieved.

onlookers, might read it, ph is expensive, and thats not true.

stopp being a pain, i help you and all i get is trouble.

i will pray tonight, give bf a green thumb overnight.

you are inexperienced, but manage to make me look bad, i'm not happy.

i hope you soon say thank you, to the people who tried to help you in this thread.