The Corroboree
Auxin

Areole seat belt graft

I had an idea for a pereskiopsis grafting technique and I'm curious if its already been tried somewhere.

People often struggle with getting a solid stable union on areole grafts, I've seen folks use super glue, parafilm, rubber bands, panty hose, I'm surprised I havent seen a condom tek yet (that little spooge nipple on the condom must have tempted someone by now, being the size of an areole), well how 'bout this

1) split a pereskiopsis stem vertically, fairly well off center

2) jam in an areole with the cut side facing the center of the peres stem

3) tie or rubber band the flaps together above the graft to secure it in place without crushing it

4) when the graft starts growing carefully cut away any bit that could get in its way and let the orgy of growth proceed

post-146-0-49784900-1342398524_thumb.jpg

Whatcha think? sound reasonable? been tried before?

If anyone tries using a condom instead I suggest photographs be taken using a TBM graft :wink:

peres.JPG

peres.JPG

• Like 4

sounds like a great idea.. would love to know if someone has tried this and how it worked out

I have a fair few peres so I might try this some time soon

In theory, sounds great! In practice I'm not so sure... The cut would need to be very precise and the aeriol precisely placed within the cut for a 'sure thing' so to speak. Once any kinks are worked out and tek downpat, it'd be cool too see comparisons against regular peres grafting

D00d

• Like 1

Nice idea i might give it a go today while iv got the day from the flu. I reckon the condom idea is gold for the right sized stock it'd work really well i think

• Like 1

Would you want to split it so the inner vascular ring is fairly exposed? Then have the areole off centre to that? I got heaps of Peres laying around so thinking I might give it a whirl :)

• Like 1

yeah thats what I figured. If the peres was split right down the middle the vascular ring would be thin lines out near either side, but splitting it off center it would increase the surface area of exposed vascular tissue. Imagine cutting a donut in half at center versus cutting in two where you just barely reach the donut hole.

Then the areole or tiny pup would be off center so its vasculature touches that of the peres.

• Like 1

great idea,... but I have had somewhat some succes with normal seedlings to areole grafts,...just with the plants juices stickyness.

my question would be how do you get the rubber band on??maybe a thin piece of binding wire could do the trick instead,.. but still seems like a finickey fumbely process,... not to mention stressful when you have your seedlings accidently fall in the process........

or superglue..... that way you hold the top of the shaved peresk with a tweezer and just put a drop where the top meets the stem again

Yeah, seedlings normally stick on just fine. I havent seen many people have success just slapping a areole down on top of a pereskiopsis tho.

Lately I've been playing with using teflon thread tape with bits of masking tape at the end as a cheap and gentle elastic strap to hold things down, that might help for areole grafts on top cut peres.