The Corroboree

Question

I found this today at a house. can anyone tell me what it may be? I know it's definitely a trichocereus of some sort! :)

post-8096-0-33730800-1339763964_thumb.jp

post-8096-0-33730800-1339763964_thumb.jpg

post-8096-0-33730800-1339763964_thumb.jpg

13 answers to this question

its not a trich...

i was tring to find the genus of it but cant atm lol im sure someone else will be able to find it haha

okay i found what i think it might be and that is......... Myrtillocactus

Yeah, it's a Myrtillocactus. possibly M. cochal.

• Like 2

Ohhhhh my mistake! That's ok though.. It's still a rad looking cactus!

They are very nice to graft with, and also a good looker. a bit like myself.

• Like 1

I scored one of them from bunnings. They push out some mad pups, they look really cool :)

I'd guess M. geometrizans.

Got mine not much bigger than that 2 years ago and it's now pushing 70cm's tall with several arms, even had to lop one arm off as it was getting so heavy it was pulling the main stem over. They grow like crazy in the ground down here in the Sydney area. Hoping for flowers come springtime!

Way too strong spines for geometrizans. I´d go with Cochal too.

To strong? Those look weak compared to mine :huh:

Old photos, from near well over a year ago.

photo049o.jpg

dsc002191.jpg

Well yours definately got some pretty big spines. The lenght of the middle spine isnt really special but the radial spines in geometrizans only reach a lenght of 0,7- 1 cm max. Cochal has longer and stronger radial spines and more ribs.

Snowfella, how many ribs does yours have at max? I agree yours could be a geometrizans with very long spines but they usually dont have such strong spines. Just take a look at this large one in the botanical garden in mexiko:

http://upload.wikime...ocactusUNAM.JPG

Here´s a typical Cochal: http://www.f-lohmuel...locactus012.htm

Maybe we need a better photo.

Edited by Evil Genius

Well yeah, many parts of your plant look like it could be a Geometrizans but the radial spines are pretty large. The second pic looks a lot like a cochal for example. Where did you get it from? Its possible that Ashes plant is a geometrizans but the spines are actually not very typical for a plant of that size and neither are the ones on your plant. There are always certain plants that grow under such good conditions that allows them to put out stronger spines than the norm so maybe your right but im not really 100% certain because your plant has tendences that would rather fit for cochal imo.

Edited by Evil Genius

It was bought as an unlabeled 10cm seedling from a general nursery, pretty sure of the seedling bit as it had no clear "cut" surface underground as I potted it out. The M. Geometrizans label has come from 2 other forums, first as an initial ID and a second after I questioned that ID due to it's heavy spines. So it's not a 100% sure ID by the looks of things.

It did however start out with lots weaker spines and only put on heavy ones after having been planted out in a real sunny, warm spot in the yard.