The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Ed Dunkel

Boab seeds/plants?

Does anyone know if it is possible to get the Australian boab (Adansonia gregorii) seeds or plants?

I think they produce edible 'fruits' that aboriginals consumed in the north west Kimberley area.

I know the Shona people in Zimbabwe eat the African Baobab (Adansonia digitata) fruits which are high in vitamin C and nutrients and taste quite nice.

E D

I've seen the seeds offered before, but never thought about getting them as the plant didn't seem to have any particular uses that I knoew of. Edible parts is enough reason for me to get them though ;-)

I will have a look around for them.

I forgot to mention. In Africa they harvest the fibres from the baobab to make rope, rugs etc...

I guess the australian boab is not to dissimilar from its african cousin and I'm sure the local aboriginals probably use it for fibre as well.

E D

Guest cornucopia

Yeah, Boabs are quite useful and amazing plants. As far as I know there is little difference that many botanists can recognize between some of the African, Madagascan and Australian species. As to how they got to be distributed where they are, is a bit of a mystery.

The fruits, including seeds are eaten raw or roasted. The leaves and pithy parts of young branches are eaten as a vegetable, and a drink is made from the sap (Useful Bush Plants, Bindon). Fibrous bark used for string.

Large fragrant white flowers are probably edible as well.

I've been told of one growing in this area (sub tropical NE NSW) but never got a chance to see it yet.

I saw two african ones(Adansonia digitata) growing in the Brisbane Botanical Garden but no Australian (Adansonia gregorii) confused.gif

As far as I know the mainland african one (A. digitata) grows considerably bigger but otherwise very similar to the australian species. Madagascar has the other 6-8 baobab species all quite different in appearance except for the bulbous up-side-down tree look.

E D

[This message has been edited by Ed Dunkel (edited 12 July 2000).]

Guest smithy

Try 08 91682197 in Kunnunurra WA for Boab seeds.