The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Darklight

Re-packing computer batteries

I've got a couple of old computer batteries which are stuffed.

Initially I thought of recycling them, but I was wondering whether they can be sent off to be re-conditioned or repacked or whatever it is. I mean they're hell expensive and environmentally dodgy, why not try to get as much useful life out of them as I can

A mate of mine used to get batteries re-packed for things like cordless power drills- can it be done for computer batteries? If so, has anyone had it done by someone they trust enough not to endanger their computer/ data?

I see know reason why you couldn't. I've purchased spec'd up repacked power tool batteries before. Haven't tried repacking myself, but read up on it a bit a while back. Soldering the tabs could be tricky, you'd want to work fast to avoid heat build-up. And if they were LiPo's (some newer laptop batteries might be, thought most Li's are LiFe in laptops I think) I wouldn't be game to do it myself.

I've paid more than the cost of replacement to get re-packed batts, but they've been better quality and higher Ah. Quite happy overall.

And as for endangering your data, as long as you don't wire them backwards or re-pack with cells of a different voltage than original, you'll be fine.

Just email one of the repacking places like batterydoctor.net.au for a quote. Might be cheaper to just buy a replacement though, depends on the battery chemistry and age of the pack.

I've paid more than the cost of replacement to get re-packed batts, but they've been better quality and higher Ah. Quite happy overall.

Thanks, I've heard that for power tools. Wasn't planning on doing it myself, not with the xplodey types

But from http://www.batterydoctor.net.au/g/2398/repacking.html

Batteries unsuitable or uneconomical for Repacking

- Mobile Phones

- Cordless Phones

- Laptop Computers

- Camcorders-

- Digital Cameras

- All Lithium packs (packs marked Li-Ion, Li-Poly)

These chemistry types are far too dangerous to repack with saftey.

- Cordless Drills.... especially sub $100.00 budget versions like GMC, Ryobi, ARLEC, WORX, etc. ..These are generally NOT economical to repack!

Generally, if your battery is available on our website as a new replacement, then it is likely to be a cheaper and easier option to buy it new than to repack.