The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
planthelper

read this before posting an acacia id request

Question

tarenna said in another post, when asked to id a mimosa:

Which valley - Hastings, Macleay, Nambucca, Bellinger or Clarence?

The location is far more important for assisting in identifying the species that whether it was growing by a dirt or tarred road or next to a wooden or metal fence. The distribution of Acacia species on the North Coast is best discussed in relation to catchments and landscapes - hence my question about which road it was growing by.

peace

so you have to tell us where you spotted the plant, location wise meaning geographically!

and than, if it was at the beach, or the high hills or whatever.

further it could confuse a person willing to try to id something for you, if the location of the member, doesn't match up with the location of the plant an id is asked for.

Edited by planthelper

2 answers to this question

I have found what I think is an Acacia Maidenii.

I live in Forster on the mid nth coast of NSW.

It seems to be growing in alluvial soil in a park. Sorry that I have no pics to show but I can tell you that the bark is quite fibrous and is a red colour when you cut back the bark with slight red resin also. It is quite a big tree at over 10 metres high. Any info would be fantastic. Warm regards Pie

Acacia with thick fibrous bark. When bark is cut back is a red colour along with the resin which stained my hands as well. Sorry no pics. ANY INFO would be fantastic! Cheers!