The Corroboree
herbal_hindsight

Bizarre Blueing of Amanita muscaria

Ok now my foaf has been exploring the fungal world for the past 10 years and in all that time have not stumbled across ANY Amanita muscaria's that have a fluro blue smear on them in any way.... the forest the mushroom below was found in had atleast 3 other identifiable Amanita muscaria's that had the same blueing effect, but not as much as the one below.

Nothing we added to them nor have they been enhanced in any way [ie photoshop] other than for the anonyminity of the individuals about to take a bite!

They were discovered approx the end of june this year...

If anyone else has seen anything like this before please, share your experiences and photos if possible and if you have an explanation even better!

If not then atleast everyone else can now be as spun out as my foaf was when these were discovered....

Enjoy

post-3965-128250116395_thumb.jpg

post-3965-128250149748_thumb.jpg

post-3965-128250151425_thumb.jpg

I doubt that is a Amanita muscaria

Nope, I've never seen that before.

Though it does remind me of something that has been on my mind for a while. There is a herbicide that I have seen in use many times, especially by council workers around parks/reserves. I don't know its name but I am sure many here are familiar with it. It leaves a strong blue/green stain where it is applied. Looks a lot like the discoloration on the mushroom pics posted above.

I have seen chip bark stained blue/green by this herbicide on patches that are colonized by subs. I wonder about the toxicity of this herbicide and the possibility mushrooms being contaminated. I have also seen non bluing mushrooms stained convincingly blue by this herbicide.

as for the herbicides there often more toxic to mammals then the ones used for insects this is bcause some herbicides are just insecicides with a dye and at higher amounts of active ingredient in them then insecticides. most insecticides, particularly the ones that end with "thrin" are based on permethrin and have a tiny ld50. permethrin as a dermal LD50 in rats of over 4000 mg/kg were orally, salt is about 3,000 mg/kg. also, the dye is often added as the concentrate is watered down. i know this cause it's why my boss wont get us into herbicide spraying; it stains the tanks and if th dye gets in the insecticide spray when i'm spraying, i dunno, a house for instance i dont think the customers would be happy with me spraying there house green or pink lol

i could talk your ear off if ya want lol

one more thing, insecticides are desigined NOT to be taken up by the roots of any plant were as herbicides are. i'm sure our fungus friends will take them up even faster. i remember watching that guy who was talking about 6 ways fungus can change the world and said some fungus can convert oil and herbicides into carbs so they can use it but don't take my word for it ;)

Does looks quite herbicide-y / dye like. Immediate surrounding vegetation information would be of use, but long gone now given these are old photos, if not off target damage from weed control, you can get dickheads spraying them deliberately.

good to see ya ramon!

Edited by gerbil

I doubt that is a Amanita muscaria

looks like Amanita muscaria to me... just one of the many that don't fit the perfect full red cap & perfect white spots..

looks like herbicide dye for sure..

I don't doubt for a second that is is indeed an Amanita muscaria despite it's lack of obvious perfect red and white spot features.

I have wondered if it was a stain from herbicide use/etc but that seems very strange for the location this was discovered at in a public pine plantation forest in south australia

I don't want to give away the exact location for the obvious reasons.

Regardless it is pretty awesome!

Get in touch with the managers of the plantation and ask them about their management re: herbicide use.

Am not totally up on (private or public) plantation management, avoid them like the plague, I assume public ones are still managed for timber use in the long term, people access and somewhat fire maintained. Most herbicide use in plantations are done in the first few years, during thinning later in life as well as post (and potential pre) harvest. If competition increases in mature stands i'd assume it would be used then as well.

Since it looks like the obvious choice, i'd say get in touch with the managers (which may span a few diff. authorities and shitkickers underneath those few i.e. private contractors, at least that can make the equation easier...

lol awesome? if herbicide, I can't really see the excitement, but each to their own.