The Corroboree
michaelangelica

The Portugese experiment Vrs the USA experiment

(Ps moderator how do I correct spelling in title Portuguese?

ISTM that the Oz drug laws are evil; dangerous, deadly and dopey. They also corrupt all levels of our society; destroying our institutions of law and justice.

They make a lot of people rich, at the expense of the suffering and destruction of many lives.

It is interesting to see that the Portuguese experiment is going so much better with much less harm than the crazy Yank system

In the face of a growing number of deaths and cases of HIV linked to drug abuse, the Portuguese government in 2001 tried a new tack to get a handle on the problem—it decriminalized the use and possession of heroin, cocaine, marijuana, LSD and other illicit street drugs. The theory: focusing on treatment and prevention instead of jailing users would decrease the number of deaths and infections.

Five years later, the number of deaths from street drug overdoses dropped from around 400 to 290 annually, and the number of new HIV cases caused by using dirty needles to inject heroin, cocaine and other illegal substances plummeted from nearly 1,400 in 2000 to about 400 in 2006, according to a report released recently by the Cato Institute, a Washington, D.C, libertarian think tank.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=portugal-drug-decriminalization

Portugal's drug laws

Ten years ago Portugal had one of the worst drug problems in Europe. Heroin use was out of control and the rate of HIV infections in drug users became a humanitarian crisis. So what did Portugal do? They decriminalised all personal drug use in that country, crack, heroin, LSD, you name it. Drugs are still illegal, but it's no longer a crime to use them. Instead of jail, users and addicts are offered treatment and education. In this Health Report special feature Nicky Phillips looks at how Portugal transformed their drug laws and whether this worked.

http://www.abc.net.au/rn/healthreport/stories/2009/2661510.htm

It's been eight years since Portugal decriminalised drug use, so why the sudden interest?

Well a recent review of Portugal's drug laws by the CATO Institute, that's a think-tank, has sparked significant attention because the report found decriminalisation a success, and it suggests other countries with drug problems give it a go

In 2001, the Globe and Mail reported that a poll found that 47% of Canadians agreed with the statement, "The use of marijuana should be legalized" in 2000, compared to 26% in 197

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drug_liberalization#Canada

A lot of the opposition in Oz seems to be from the loonier Christian right ---those crazy, filthy rich, evil Yank cults.

Perhaps they are so rich because they are funded by the drug lords; who certainly don't want to see the law changed.

Strange bedfellows.

Edited by michaelangelica

A lot of the opposition in Oz seems to be from the loonier Christian right ---those crazy, filthy rich, evil Yank cults.

Perhaps they are so rich because they are funded by the drug lords; who certainly don't want to see the law changed.

Strange bedfellows.

I don't see how you can blame religion on this one. Sure it could be a factor but look at China. It is essentially an atheistic country, but you would get death penalty for "drug dealing".

Portugal actually deals with their addicts rather than dumping on the street corner once their jail sentences are over, which is what the US actually does. People just get caught up in a bad cycle.

By the way there are many people that don't like Cato Institute as a source. I do however generally agree with your overall comments.

I don't see how you can blame religion on this one. Sure it could be a factor but look at China. It is essentially an atheistic country, but you would get death penalty for "drug dealing".

Portugal actually deals with their addicts rather than dumping on the street corner once their jail sentences are over, which is what the US actually does. People just get caught up in a bad cycle.

You might get the death penalty if you traffic large quantities of heroin, cocaine or MDMA in china but they treat users in a similar way to portugal. They register them as addicts and provide a degree of health service rehabilitation. They don't want dealers and they don't want addicts so they heavily punish the criminal element and assist users to rehabilitate. It may not be mature in its operations but from what I have seen china does seperate a clear distinction between drug crime (high level dealing) and drug use.

I don't see how you can blame religion on this one.

Easy, aren't they responsible for most of the intolerance in the world.- Jewish, Islam, Christian.

but seriously (as if I wasn't) I am referring to the happy-clappy, extreme right, Christian religions.

have you ever visted the southern US states?

or even Hillsong in Sydney where the collection plate is a stack of wireless Efpos machines?

How is money got anything to do with the teachings of Jesus Christ?

This really concerns me i see all our institutions, our social structures, under threat by the insane policies we have toward drug use. Let alone the incredible damage and violence done to families and people. On a $ cost alone basis, we should wise up-- with half the women in prison being there on drug charges.(Stupid- now we are going the Yank way and privatizing prisons!!- --probably run by drug barons?!). At $400+ a day, for room and board, + mega$-legals++ that is insane. The Yanks have a huge drug-prison population, mostly of minorities.

We don't have to be as stupid or as venal as the yanks ALL the time.

even Hillsong in Sydney where the collection plate is a stack of wireless Efpos machines?

How is money got anything to do with the teachings of Jesus Christ?

It's an ancient scam. Might be a different world if the summarians had developed copyright laws.

A scam?, while I agree, I am sure some people learn something from it and get the answers they were looking for eventually, not from the 'teachings' ofcourse. So in some ways the cult leader might be good, and actually doing what he professes; to show people the truth by exposing them to that which is not truth.

I copyright this insight, I will be the first cult-leader to rip everyone off and then when they call me a scam artists, I will turn-around and say something like "so you have learnt nothing from this"?...

I will be the first cult-leader to rip everyone off and then when they call me a scam artists, I will turn-around and say something like "so you have learnt nothing from this"?...

LOL :)

The problem with the big three intolerant religions is that they have so many good people working in, and for, them.

This gives the evil people, in these fascist organizations, the cover to do harm and do evil things in the name of "god".

ah this thread made me laugh.

and, agreed! It's good to have a media source to back up my druggie propaganda of, "legalise it"