The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
smokeydaze

Acacia Acuminata

I realise acuminata is native to WA, but I've read odd post here and there around the interweb stating finds in vic/nsw.

Was hoping someone could clear this up, does it only grow in WA? Thanks

Edited by smokeydaze

According to a report I have, Acacia burkittii which is part of the taxa which forms the Acacia acuminata group should extend to South Australia and New South Wales. It looks like it won't grow any further north than the 26th parallel. Being so closely related it could be worth while investigating.

http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/burkittii.php

Distribution

http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgall...s/burkittii.jpg

Cool thanks, I'll assume no knowledge is available from people who have previously tested burkittii. I also heard Wimmera supposedly harbors acuminata (?)

Cool thanks, I'll assume no knowledge is available from people who have previously tested burkittii. I also heard Wimmera supposedly harbors acuminata (?)

Acacia acuminata occurs as far north as Kalbarri, and you might find scattered populations a little further

There is also a complex of related species which Maslin is still working on (they have phrase names at the moment, things like A. sp. Small Seed). There are a few interesting ones on the south coast.

It certainly grades into burkittii along the eastern boundary, in the dry country you can commonly find burkittii growing on top of calcrete breakaways around salt pans

However in these locations the plants are too small to bother with and I have never attempted an analysis

You may ocassionally find a larger specimen (but then, is it a narrow-phyllode acuminata?) growing along a creekline.

From one expert I have heard that burkittii essentially grades into the maidenii/obtusifolia group on the east coast - making a continent-wide gradient of species. although have heard this contested by others.

A very interesting complex of phylogenetically and biochemically.