The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Conan Troutman

Sally Wattle and Prickly moses

Anyone know if there are references for or if anyone has tested the following...

Acacia melanoxylon ,Blackwood,Sally Wattle ect ect... contains DMT, in the bark and leaf, as is claimed on wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acacia

I understand there could be some anecdotal evidence to back this up, but also possible bad id??

and good ol' Lycaeum tells us

Taxa Containing 5-MeO-DMT:

Acacia farnesiana (Mimosa Bush, Huisache, Prickly Moses)

Anadenanthera colubrina (Yopo, Cohoba, Vilca)

Anadenanthera peregrina

Bufo alvarius

http://leda.lycaeum.org/?ID=3488

I have never heard these Acacias talked about in the community (prolly with goood reason), but both are common in the Southern Vic with almost invasive growth rates :P

Just be a bit careful with these common names - in WA 'Sally Wattle' is A. saligna (while I've also heard A. longifolia being called this name) and 'Prickly Moses' is A. pulchella or closely related species.

Just be a bit careful with these common names - in WA 'Sally Wattle' is A. saligna (while I've also heard A. longifolia being called this name) and 'Prickly Moses' is A. pulchella or closely related species.

Yes, there could quite easily be some confusion with some of these Acacia names and id.

My main interest was in A.melanoxylon what we call in Vic Blackwood but is also known as sally wattle and also black wattle which are both also synonyms of other species..

Acacia pulchella is most likely the one that grows around here

Edited by Conan Troutman

"Acacia melanoxylon, DMT in the bark and leaf" is the quote :) this one is quite common in the Blue Mountains of NSW [likes the cold, hence it being common in Tasmania], could be an interesting research point to find out more about the active constituents of this attractive species

In NSW prickly moses is Acacia ulicifolia

Edited by tonic

I've never stuffed around cooking from any of em (no time to cook, and less time to fly haha) but random attempts at melanoxylon "kino" (exudate from bark after wounding, insect damage, coppicing etc), when produced in dryer weather is very hard setting, yellow to orange, i use it as incense binder etc,but a toke results in onehelluva styrene style reek and taste, juust chars then melts and bubbles, resets much harder onto other plant matter and can be smoked fairly easily (this is gentle direct flame no vap)... nnneeaarrlly did the trick...the rushing in but no opening out as I've said before. Has also been used to make cough mixtures, bushies used it to gum ciggie papers, a bit mixed with water seems good for mozzie bites and minor grazes...makes a second skin a bit like eggwhite based folk remedies. No insulated fume hood in this house so that's all I can tell ya for sure haha.

>>snip<<

Wild Plants of Greater Brisbane - A Queensland Museum Guide (great book!) has this to say:

Acacia melanoxylon (Blackwood)

Small tree to 15m. Branchlets and young shoots hairy.Phyllodes alternate, oblanceolate, 6-10cm long, rounded occasionally pointed at tip, 3-7 main longitudinal veins, raised gland on phyllode 1-10mm above base, pale cream globular flowerheads in short racemes, Nov-Jan. (still cranking around here atm tho) Fruit a coiled or twisted pod narrow pod, black oval seed connected to pod by red fleshy thread, ripe march-april (none seedin around here yet that ive seen, lets find this el nino bloke and break his legs eh?)

Subtropical rainforest and wet euc. forest in coastal and upland areas, often dominates regrowth.

Similar to A.maidenii - numerous pale raised lenticels on brachlets, pale creamy flowers in spikes, twisted rather than coiled pods.

(I find spiders tend to get into the bunches of coiled pods on mela's, watch out for em if picking... crazed muppet inspired leaping around from from the longhair in the bushes tends to really bother the locals)

Acacia ulcifolia (Prickly Moses)

Low branched prickly shrub .5 - 1.0 metres, sometimes to 2m.Small scattered leaves, green to yellow green, narrow, end tips spiny, widest near base.Flowers form yellow balls on stem to 1cm long, June - Sept.Seed pods rough, long and narrow, seeds arranged vertically along pod length.

Widespread and common, on shallow or infertile soils in wallum heath, also mountain heath.Sunshine Coast, Beerwah, Woodford, Moreton and Stradbroke Is, D'Aquilar Range, Crows Nest, Springwood, Plunkett, Lamington National Park, also coastal QLD, NSW, Vic, Tas, Sa.

>>snip<<

this this looks like a setof plants called "prickley heaths", wiry looking spiky arsed things that dont hurt as much as itch when they get you blundering by, never tried anything with this plant it looks like everything else in the undergrowth around here haha

mela i reckon would do something , it certainly yields a stinkier and more chem smelling resin than maidenii (around here) but the kino from either sucks after prolonged rains, tends to come out more like semi hydrated water crystals, a lot more snotlike, good for ant bits though, and a sniff of it tells you how the soil beneath the tree smells , yay for free analysis. Older parts of tree's make a more "pure" seeming kino, and even that gets a lot "tackier" and more crystalline if its left on the tree with a little rain getting to it now n then but not too much sun..must wash the more useless things out of the stuff.

Bulk mela around here, people would pay you to cut one out of their yard, maidenii less common, tend to occur in small clumps rather than long wandering "reefs" of them, the melas are happier up the hill a bit, maidens want their pretty toes kept moist.Flowering for both is buggered lately due to drought.Chopped leaves and young branchlets are a good source of N for your veggie patch :D Or a patch of anything for that matter.Maidens tend to look more olive green as a tree from a bit of a distance and more rounded whereas the melas tend to stretch a bit, more blue-green looking, generally a skankier tree haha.

bloody wattles,

GD