The Corroboree
transDiMenTional

Croc hunter dead???

awww, c'mon, it's only a discussion. All you had to do was point out how wrong I was by posting a little fact and you would have had the pleasure of my admiration

IMO 'facts' are always theory/bias loaded, regardless of source. Which is not to say some 'facts' aren't more credible than others...but of all people I would think you'd know that it is often difficult to establish the veracity of 'facts', whether they are 'establishment truths' or otherwise. IMO you are ascribing too much truth-value to a purportedly alternative view...oh, but then you've not got any opinion here, right...so you're stance is purely objective - water tight.

So SAB is turning into an academic journal?...I wasn't aware of the stringent referencing requirements!

anyhoo, I for one would take the word of a friend whom I admire and respect over informtion pedalled by the mass media or far-left press, and in this instance, I believe my friend, and esteemed colleague, is more qualified than most to comment on the basis of his long-standing experience as an environmental 'remediator' and ecologist (published I may add....on that basis he's more a scientist than I!), and the fact that he also knew Steve, and could vouch for the reality of his activities as a result of first-hand experience.

It's always nice to be admired, but not so nice to be spoken to, even implicitly, as if a naive imbecile brainwashed by PR. Oh for fuck's sake!! :rolleyes:

I love you Torsten, but sometimes I find your approach too abrasive and hyper-critical. But then it wouldn't bother me if i was reconciled with corresponding facets of my own being, would it? :wink:

I find it rediculous that people think we who liked steve think we are just lapping up media frenzied reports about some ecological saint.

I have based my impressions of him on meeting him and his actions, I don't subscribe to the populous theories, as I am sure most people here don't, that's why they are here as a part of this community. I tend to have an uncanny nack for reading people, and am rarely if ever wrong, people I don't like, even when they appear most charming and friendly have always shown their true colours given time, I believe Steve was a good egg.

I am not and i'm sure most of his supporters here don't believe any of the reports that all their profit goes on conservation. That is of course media hype, I havn't actually heard Steve say it (but he could have), and I'm sure they won't retract such statements at a later time, such is the way of the media.

Those here who believe thet steve supporters are just hyped up on the media I find you narrow minded and insulting, you are the ones being manipulated by the media in your own attempts not to believe media hype, you're all taking this too far.

And I'll say it again, who gives a fuck what he did with his money, when it is clearly obvious he has done at least some good for conservation, more than 99% of the know it all's posting in this thread anyway!

Facts are meaningless, they can be used to prove anything.

Homer Simpson

Does anyone here know what a fact is?????

LOL

Edited by evil

FACR?....Fellow of the American College of Radiologists?

sorry typo wandjina I meant fact?

Sooooooooo........

Does anyone here know what a fact is????

bring back Harry Butler...

fuck yeah - ol harry was a great role model to aussie kids

i still stand in constant awe of the public reaction when people die. its like they are walking round with their eyes losed. shouldnt it have sunk in now that everyone is dying? not to say they shouldnt express grief - but its the suprise that gets me everytime??? and the sense of tragedy??? How is the inevitable possibly tragic?

anyway...

I said he was a dickhead when he was alive and now hes a dead dickhead

why should i pretend to like him cos hes dead?

why should i pretend to respect his acheivemnets cos hes dead?

i like Germaine greer's observations on the matter - thank goodness shes no funeral hypocrite either . i tried to express it myself but she does it much better. its good, do read it

http://www.guardian.co.uk/australia/story/0,,1865124,00.html

the real reason i personally dislike him so much is politics. the Bush howard thing mentioned

but most of all the day that sealed my real hatred for steve wwas his comments towards Bob brown after Senator brown questioned bush on his visit.

saying Senator brown should be take out the back and given a belting

To me this is unforgivable. For steve irwin, already under my nerves for everything else, to stand up and make those sort of comments just goes against everything i believe in on so many levels.

to incite violence againt a conservationist the callibre of Senator Brown, i emphasise senator of the commonwealth of australia, for standing up in the parliament to which the australian public elected him, and questioning in his own country a foreign diplomat over issues relating to the illegal incarceration without trial of an australian citizen by a foreign power.

to join the gang of brownshirts who silenced senator brown on the day and then denounced him in public afterwards for enacting the rights and the duty we gave him as our elected representative.

Either Steve was a Moron, or a traitor to his own and the nation, or both. Either way in the side he takes we was a virtual enemy of the state i believe in.

so i say Fuck steve irwin and his model of reality

to turn conservative rhetoric back onto him

Steve irwin was Un-Australian.

before anyone decries me for disliking hime so much based on politics. remember the power of politics to make and destroy your world. to give and to take away rights and privelages, and to hurt or help the things and ones you love.

and its one of those things like drink driving they say. someone else stupidity can have a direct effect on you so you cant just forgive them to do as they please.

think hard and you might not think political allegiance so petty a reason to draw a line in the sand

Edited by Rev

Rev

How very sad of you !!!!

Malcolm Douglas actually thought Steve was good!!

You cant find a splinter in Steves eye or anyone elses, till you find the BEAM in your own!!!

Edited by evil

You cant find a splinter in Steves eye or anyone elses, till you find the BEAM in your own!!!

Don't criticise anyone if you're not perfect?

Right.... :rolleyes:

OK, I finally get it. I can really understand where you are coming from when you say this.

lol - yeah i only know him from the media.

but still - if you ask me about the truth of humanity, then i will paint kind of a sad picture for you. even though i willl probably never know each one of you,.... i think that despite the mess that humanity is in people are still trying to grow towards the light and doing their best.

the positive thing about nowadays is that NEVER in the history of mankind have the possibilities beeen like they are today to come to a better understaning of eachother and therefore to create more peace.

in his shows i think that he is honest with his feelings.

i think that finding out who steve really was is a good thing. we all want understanding. hope that what we find out about him will move people in a possitve direction.

EHHHH ........ WHAT IT COMES DOWN TO WITH STEVE IS THAT HE MADE ALLOT OF PEOPLE SMILE AND OPENED ALLOT OF EYES!

in many ways he was just a big ADHD kid full on stoked by animals. if had he lived to become and older person he probably would have become wiser and made better decisions. i mean Croc jumping becomes harder as you get older :P

bla bla bla bla

yalll shaddup and smile as if you have won the lottery today - ha haha haha < thats a joke he he > maybe not ;)

Edited by woof woof woof

Germaine Greer proved she had no idea what she was talking about with this comment:

"What Irwin never seemed to understand was that animals need space. The one lesson any conservationist must labour to drive home is that habitat loss is the principal cause of species loss."

This just shows how very little she knew about Steve Irwin's conservation efforts. If anybody knew about the impact of habitat loss, it was him. In fact, he was involved in a project aimed at implementing a Code of Practice for the Welfare of Animals, which would see the implementation of regulations aimed at avoiding or minimising the impact of land clearing on wildlife.

For those people who share Germaine Greer's sentiments on the abbhorrence of Irwin's "manhandling" and "badgering" of "distressed" animals (which were generally released completely unscathed mind you), I imagine you must also feel similarly angered by the idea of sports fishing. I mean, the fish are caught, dragged into boats by hooks embedded in their mouths or insides, "manhandled" and shown around, then tossed back into the water often with hooks still in place, or wounds from their removal. Then I guess we'd have to talk about rodeos, where animals are tortured with pinching straps, whips, ropes, and other devices suitable for causing distress and creating a show. Shall we start on circuses anybody? Surely you'd have to be against keeping essentially wild animals in small trucks and yards, forcing them to perform in shows several times a day for our entertainment. The funniest thing is, I was sure some of the people who were criticisng Irwin's handling of animals were also advocating sport hunting earlier in the discussion. I think I smell hypocrisy! :o

If you took the quote from Greer in context you would certainly realise that what she was referring to was the way Irwin had no hesitation in blundering into any sort of habitat with a camera crew to stir some wildlife up for a sensationalist piece about how a certain snake, croc or [insert other animal] is "a live one!!!!"

As for the comments about the majority of animals coming away unscathed, I assume you are working with what you have seen on Irwin's shows, in which case I imagine they would not be showing any animals that were injured during filming. I am not suggesting this might have happened often, I am suggesting we have no way of knowing if it did or not. What we do know is that he was fond of telling stories like the time he was poking a croc in an enclosure until it dragged him by his shoe, trying to, quote, "kill me" (as if this certain croc was exercising a particularly malicious disposition rather than an instinctual response) until Irwin saved his own life by attacking the evil brute with a whipper-snipper he happened to have on him. It is this type of incident which could be completely avoided if he wasnt so interested in provoking the creatures to get a rise out of them.

And yes I am similarly disheartened by "sport fishing" and so on, I think there are much better ways to enjoy the outdoors than by slicing up the inside of a creature's mouth with a giant hook and taking a photo so that later you can brag about the size of your penis extention to your mates at the pub later over a vb and winnie blue. If you want to eat fish, then catch one. But if you want to exercise some type of primal instinct do it creatively rather than destructively. The "unAustralian" and "PC" crap about Greer's piece is ridiculous, who is this so-called "Australian" everyone keeps invoking anyway? A bunch of Russell Ward's "legends" lazing around giving all the aussie battlers a fair go as long as they're white, male, spectator-sport loving, political complicits?

steve irwin arrives at the heavens gate.

peter tells him, mate you've been such an awsome bloke, i grant you a special wish, you can take one of the things you liked on earth with you...

suddenly, peter brock appears right next to him.

crikey whats that for, i said, peter, a croc.

LOL

my brother sent me a msg today saying he was worried about me....

He said "Steve Irwin died doing what he loved, Peter Broke died doing what he loved.... PLS dont have a wank im worried about you!"

haha :P

Edited by Jeffery Jones