The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
organichigh

Web Design

Im going Crazy!

Is any one able to help? How do I learn about web site construction? I have bought 2 domain names and I want to put at least a few words and some pics up there and move on eventually from there..

I have hosting through Shaman Australis, using the CpanelX. What else do I need? And I have a simple web design program...

Been bugging me for a while now... And really want to get moving with it all ASAP

Hippy

personally i prefer to work visually, must be a right brain thing... i know enough code to get by but yeah its dreamweaver all the way for me i'm afraid.. its not the absolute best way to do it..(as you learn more web design you'll notice it does some whacky useless things) but i'd suggest its one of the easiest ways to get your head around it and is a pretty standard industry tool these days... dreaweaver mx has some moderately good tutorials built into the help section which can help you get started.. there's also a variety of web designing magazines around which are pretty good, usually they include a demo of dreamweaver which you can sometimes activate for the full software with a serial number.. which wouldn't be that hard to get theoretically... not that i'm suggesting you do anything *illegal* or anything :wink:B)

Im going Crazy!

Is any one able to help? How do I learn about web site construction? I have bought 2 domain names and I want to put at least a few words and some pics up there and move on eventually from there..

I have hosting through Shaman Australis, using the CpanelX. What else do I need? And I have a simple web design program...

Been bugging me for a while now... And really want to get moving with it all ASAP

Hippy

You should learn some basic HTML and PHP as a start. HTML is needed when you want to build a static web page, i.e. you can't interact with your visitor, while PHP is needed if you want some interactive features on your web pages.

There are a lot of freeware web-portal packages such as XOOPS (www.xoops.com), Postnuke etc, that you can download and install on your web server. These packages are commonly termed CMS (Content Management System) and are mostly based on PHP as well.