The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
LurkiestLurker

Chemically induced flowering (scion inducing stock to flower)

Firstly:

I found an interesting article about Sulcorebuties grafted on to Opuntia compressa which if the same result could be obtained with other stocks could be most beneficial. While I can't really image using a loph as a stock, many people use faster growing trichs and an abundance of seed couldn't be too much of a problem!

Among so many kinds of cactus grafted on Opuntia compressa only the Sulcorebuties stimulate the grafting stock to bloom. The Sulcorebutias probably produce hormones able to activate the flowering of the Opuntia. This is remarkable if we consider the very minute dimension of the Opuntias utilized. The result is curious and very handsome. This is the demonstration that the plants joined by graft constitute a symbiosis in which the two parts influences one to each other, and mutually contribute to sustain the biological process of life like: photosynthesis, water, feeding, blooming etc. They support one to each other in a very collaborative and active way. The two parts are one.

Sulcorebutia with Opuntia flowers

I am wondering if similar relationships (scion inducing flowering of its stock) exist for the species that are most commonly discussed here.

Secondly:

I was curious to see if anybody here grafts with O. compressa as opposed to the current favourite Pereskiopsis (both appear to handle very small grafts quite well). The author of the above article seems to really like O. compressa specifically because of its cold hardiness and ability to cope with being water logged.

In many plant families flowering hormones are translocated and can pass between grafts.

The exceptions are rather interesting as well.