The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
ajna

Qld Cubies picked last week

Ok, i'm doing a spore print of that shroom because i still think it maybe a cubie. Spore print is grey in colour but i am yet to examine the spores under a microscope :)

And i'll try not to eat any As far as i know only one or two species of shrooms in australia are fatally toxic. Death cap being the main one. But obviously alot of them can make you quite sick as someone i know found out the hard way.

THAT IS NOT A CUBIE!

NOT A CUBIE, DO NOT EAT!

i was 100% sure it was not a cubensis, now that i know the spore print is grey i'm 200% sure it's not a cubensis. please don't be stupid.

lol okays, don't worry :) Man i won't eat the damn thing. Anyways i might go out today and find some real cubies, God willing.

good luck with that, look for something a little more similar to my picks! :)

ok thanks :)

Re: prophets shrooms

Ok the pics arent clear enough but heres my guess

i cant see the characteristic clawlike annulkus on the stem cos its been torn off

but the following traits lead me to a tentative ID

Reddish cap

grey gills

white stem

found in subtropical pasture environment

general size and shape

spore print "grey" ( im leaving room for human error here)

id say its Stropharia rugosoannulata

and edible species though well past its prime by the times the gills darken and its expanded

without seeing the annulus and the print i cant be 100% tho

[ 10. July 2005, 09:15: Message edited by: Rev ]

I wasn't aware that Stropharia rugosoannulata grew in australia, that's news to me. Don't they grow huge? i don't know if this shroom is big enough, it is big but i have seen much bigger eg parasol mushrooms Macrolepiota dolichaula. It is about the same size as edible Agaricus species that you find growing in the grass. By the way are parasols edible or not? or only when cooked? i have heard conflicting reports and some people apparently get sick when eating them raw.

I would say that the spore print is more of a dark/grey/brown rather than a light grey. Stem white with a little grey on it and there was a slight ring around the stem where the cap was connected to it but it is hard to see in the photo because the stem broke. No destinct or unpleasant smell. Smells just like the edible agaricus.

As i have mentioned earlier it was growing on the edge of a cow paddock next to a creek in old decomposing cow dung.

Here is a pic of the spores. It is a bit dodgy and it appears more brown in the photo.

http://www.shaman-australis.com.au/gallery...tup&cat=0&pos=1

[ 10. July 2005, 23:25: Message edited by: Prophet ]