The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Rev

Tempeh experiments

I know it unusual to get into food and off the usual topics but im on a roll and its certainly falls under ethnomycology just as much as beer does, so read or dont read If i can make tempeh psychoactive i will trust me

Ok next experiment

Im importing some grain tempeh and soy tempeh starters but i cant wait so long so im also cloning from commercial tempeh for fun

Did it tonight so should get results in a couple of days

Tempeh info, how to make and recipes

http://www.tempeh.info/

The Indonesian ones look the best - fried n spicy

also see the incubator in the how to - great idea for all mushroom adventures

normal_tempeh%20002.jpg

Many other beans can be used, ill be doing some funky things with Limas, pigeon pea and Lab lab

Soy alternatives - Rural poor forced to switch to less expensive beans

http://web.idrc.ca/en/ev-35143-201-1-DO_TOPIC.html

Of note is the observance that in some places Mucuna species are made into Tempeh. Not sure which ones but it may even be M pruriens.

The fungus really gets through the cake quite thoroughly opening it up to our digest tract as well

Tempeh organism bioconversion of bean cake

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlere...gi?artid=170049

[ 03. October 2004, 02:49: Message edited by: reville ]

Bastards!

Looks like the commercial stuff is stone dead

well give it a couple more days

Was the stuff you used frozen Rev? Would this make much difference? I had thought of doing this myself, only now I've run out of the stuff and can't find a local dealer. According to Bill Mollison (permaculture book of ferment and human nutrition) you can used withered hibiscus flowers as a source of inoculum.

Maybe. It was in the dairy section at the supermarket not in the freezer but who knows what hapenned before

I read that about Hibiscus and id like to try it but i wanted a guaranteed Rhizopus first so i can see what its meant to look like!

Still no growth excpet some aspergillus got into the edges of one plate

Maybe try again with a different brand if you can find it. I have definitely seen tempeh change colour (sporulation?) before, to black or red (maybe the red is just oxidation?). In fact it even says on the packet of one brand not to worry if this happens. So at least some of them are alive.

Hey smogs. The trick is to marinate the stuff so much that you don't notice. Ttypically garlic and coriander are used. I like to marinate it with teryaki sauce and then flame grill. Tempeh is very much an acquired taste.

Rev, I think if you are to have any success with the commercial stuff, you'll have to hunt it right down to the source.They may sell direct and if your lucky you could pick up a fresh batch. Have you tried an asian grocer perhaps?

I think its the best of all the not heavily salted soy products flavourwise (excluding for salt Miso and soy suace)

Thats not saying its comparable to meat or mushrooms but its at least as close to nuts n mushrooms as soy will ever get

I enjoy it for its texture when fried or baked and its mild nutty flavour that can soak up other spices and flavours in a dish

try the tepmeh.info link and take a look at the indonesian dishes first then maybe the others - some dont look quite flavoursome enough

using other beans would get away from the trypsin inhibitors in soy,--or are they broken down in the process?

wonder if it would work w/soaked MJ seeds?

what is the difference 'tween a bean & a seed?

I don't reckon you need to marinate it ... I find it quite tasty as it is! Ok it might be a bit much on its own but eaten along with other things it's yum. Tofu on the other hand ... ugh. I always marinate or at least fry it with sesame oil.

I've wondered the same about hemp tempeh... this company sells tempeh with hemp in it along with soy... but no pure hemp so perhaps it can't be done:

http://www.impulsefoods.co.uk/products.htm

although I have heard of hemp miso before...

Re beans vs seeds: I always thought bean just meant a large edible seed from the Fabaceae.

nabraxas:

using other beans would get away from the trypsin inhibitors in soy,--or are they broken down in the process

This is actually one of my big questions about tempeh.

Its the trypsin inhibitors that make me keep my regard for soy products as non-foods and laugh at the pro-soy lobby. I learnt of whats wrong with soy when studying animal feed formulation and just how dificult it is to rectify

If Tempeh breaks it down - and it very well might- i would change my position instantly

Im already leaning that way given the degree of permeation of the block by mycelium it has been virtually transformed from plant base to fungal biomass anyway

RK- hehe yeah ill admit i nibble it raw too. thought it was just me

ah ferment

its becoming such a hot topic isnt it

shrooms, sceletium, heimia - what else can we unlock with microbes.