The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
psylogic

yeast nutrients

does anyone know if yeast nutrients will promote mycelium growth. I wouldn't think that it would but someone may know for sure.

yes

yeast is a fungi without a fruiting body

yeast neutrient is mainly sugars i think with a few vitamins/minerals chucked in

sometimes when im feeling inventive i chuck in a multivitamin in with the grain im boiling... dont know if it helps tho

In publications i have read that several edibles (one being shiitake) run in defecit - that are auxotrophic - needing it from outside for several nurients notably the b vitamins

fo best growth add 1/4 b complex tab to the agar media or a bit of brewers yeast before sterilising

Yeast are a lower order of fungi - kind of like saying an algae is a tree that doent grow roots or leaves - very different in multicelluar structure but nutritionally they can be fed on the same nutrients in culture

except that the more evolved the less self sufficient tahy can be with plant cells wanting hormones and special nutrients supplied in the media. Mushrooms are similar wanting extra vitamins like the B's they would find in the substrate, or in mycorhizal species needing feedback regulation from the plant. If this feedback is missing for a length of time, such as in vitro sterile culture, whatever genes regulate cooperation are turned off and can be impossible to reactivate even when the fungus and plant are re-paired. Virulence in plant pathogens is also lost with repeated subculture in the same way

But Essentially yeast and saprophytic mushrooms have similar biochemical and nutritional needs also so it should be fine

[ 05. June 2004, 04:16: Message edited by: reville ]

hey rev going to test out your agar knowledge a bit here... my GF works at a pathology lab and got me some agar that the bacto chick recomended... just want to check if it will work... here are details

Sabouroud's agar

+ Gentanism

+ chloramphenicol

as best as i can read from handwriting

cheers

nice to have the premade and pre sterile too

Ah yes

similar recipe to my antibiotic slants

I think u mean gentamycin yes? mine doesnt have that in it

sabarouds is a useful mix and most thinks like it

some dont and it can acuse problems in long storage but youre not meant to store with antibiotics anyway

Great for Hericium (lions mane) BTW this mix stops it pinning in vitro whic is annoying in storage slants

Ill be changing recipes to an even more acceptable one when i find a local manufacturer to get me a good price on antibiotic MYA

smogs:

yeast neutrient is mainly sugars i think with a few vitamins/minerals chucked in

Brewing yeast nutrient is mainly a nitrogen source (eg, an ammonium salt) and a couple of vitamins. You could possibly get away with something like urea for shrooms. However, note that it may not be all that advisable for wood-lovers; nitrogen content is one of the things that distinguishes fibrous substrates from compost and/or dung.

that could be it rev...its bad handwriting written very small with a thick pen

could be anything..

its used for growing fungi that effect humans but the bacto chick waid it would probably work well.

i put on 2 super market samples and we shall see how it goes (so much bacteria in supermarket mushrooms!)

I have tried to grow some mycelium stock of swiss brown and the only one to respond so far has been the solution with the yeast nutrients.

I havn't completed a full cycle to make sure it isn't just infected or something else.

look like this?

This is the white button coming off cloned chunks

note the brown oxidised parent explant with healthy cottony mycelium coming off it

Abrunnescens.jpg

As a secondary decomposer im not suprised Agaricus is able to live on it.

Ill tell you though that ive now switched to Water agar for filthy wild or shop bought isolations and im not looking back. Its not that i didnt succeed most times but rather the laziness/time factor - i can leave a water agar explant weeks and they sometimes clean up themselves by over growing and outgrowing contam - either way they dont get worse

Nutrient agars fester beyond help in the same time period

There is suffiecient reserves to allow the mushroom to grow but not encourage weed organims

- so much better

To isolate really tricky material (like 'oh! is that mushroom still in my pocket from last weeks washing' - not really but maybe even ?)

id recommend the use of water agar followed by peroxide clear PDA and once clean then to working MEA/MYA or other etc etc

Water Agar recipe

Water

Agar

obviously no good for spores though

I dont see any harm in a bit of yeast as it doesnt encourage too much contam. and may even help recovery. Ive also added other wierd shit into water agar mixes that the shrooms seem to like, such as spent tea leaves.

Here is what a nice clean Agaricus culture looks like , this is the Almond mushroom, and agressive warm fruiting mulch/dung inhabiting relative

This is why i dont bother selling Button cultures - cos if and when all shroom growers want to practice cloning this is where they will inevitably come as most households have some in the fridge handy - growing them is another matter entirely!

Asubrufescensagar.jpg

Asubrufescensagar.jpg

[ 05. June 2004, 04:21: Message edited by: reville ]