The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Guest electro

Brown Rice Grain .... info ???

Guest electro

ok after subjecting rice to some contam tests ive come to the conclusion that rev (or was it mesq ..) is right .. rice is brilliant !

I would like to know if the following species, if cased, can Fruit off of medium grain brown rice (or in the case of woodlovers, if the rice cakes need to be broken up and used to innoculate cardboard/sawdust)....

species in question:

* Enoki

* Shiitake

* cremini (swiss brown)

* Portobello (are these just more mature cremini ?)

-------------------------------------------------

Results of the test are below:

A & B Were NOT innoculated - it was simply to test lids, contam rates & sterilisation technique.

C WAS innoculated with a legal edible dung lover just to see if decent air exchange was achieved through the lid.

------------------------------------------------

a) 5 jars (300 ml drinking cups) - pc 1hr @12.6 psi

LID: Verm layer, alfoil lid, another verm layer, alfoil top.

- NO CONTAMS @ 2 weeks in incubator (heated by a water heater & a pool of water)

B) 5 jars (300 ml drinking cups) - pc 1hr @12.6 psi

LID: Single layered piece of Glad oven bag with elastic band to hold it on

- NO CONTAMS @ 2 weeks in incubator (heated by a water heater & a pool of water)

c) 5 jars (300 ml drinking cups) - pc 1hr @12.6 psi

LID: Single layerd piece of Glad oven bag with elastic band to hold it on

Innoculated with agar transfer in bleached glovebox

- NO CONTAMS & Complete colonisation @ 2 weeks in incubator (heated by a water heater & a pool of water)

cant help you with the question but i would be VERY interested in a culture of any or all of those

yummy!

oh also dont expect your enoki to turn out like in the supermarket they grow them in special long neck flask thingies and i think in high C)2 conditions to get em like that

tastes the same tho

hey electro,

how do you prepare the rice?

cooked? soaked? dry?

thanks,

vfx

i boil mine in plenty of water for about 10mins then drain immediately (dont let it soak up all the water) and ive had good success with that so far

Guest electro

2 cups rice + 4 cups water...

bring to boil then simmer for 20 mins with a lid on (its still semi solid then, not mushy - perfect for eating).

Strain & spread out on large plate .. leave to cool uncovered for 20 mins (this gets rid of some more water - water worries me coz everything i make rots coz of too much of it .. except for this ! :) ) ..

gently load rice into jars . pc the hell out of it .

if you want it to be able to move around add a cup of vermiculite & it acts a little more like grain than sticky rice (ie until colonised it is able to be shaken about) (its still not as good as wbs was, but with contam rates this low i dont care )

cheers guys!

this is a good one to know about...will have to give it a shot soon.

nice work,

vfx

Guest electro

do rice cakes NEEED to be cased ? i mean, can gnomes get away without casing, or is that a sure fire contam ?

(i ask because as mentioned in another post, the gnome down the road managed to contam his first clean rice cakes [smelled and tasted fine] with a 50/50 casing mix)...

Guest electro

solid as in completley colonised ?

cakes never NEED to be cased, but i will always case, without exception! the casing layer helps to stop the mycelium from drying out and to keep humidity high. when you birth a cake, be it BRF or rice grains, the outside layer is exposed to air and will likely dry out over time, and be extremely difficult to fruit from, similar to overlay. casing prevents this, and can give you a lager surface area to fruit from...

Guest electro

yeh, but the ultrasonic humidifyer should take care of the himidity problem ..

thanks all for the input :)

[ 22. April 2004, 20:39: Message edited by: electro ]

where can you get ultra sonic humidifiers from?.. are they available at hardware stores?

Guest electro

the markets and pet stores ... between 99 and 140 for the good ones with replacable plates (the vibrating plate dies after a while .. dunno how long tho .. have had mine for a year and it still keeps keeping on)