The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Solar

Cacti Food ?

this reply concerns the pachs only as i have no luck with lophs. Any commercial plant food food will please them greatly ie:thrive, slow release anything really, just make sure you give them plenty of water in the summer months ie: once a day isnt too much when its hot and you can fertilise them every second week.

[ 11. December 2004, 14:37: Message edited by: shroomy ]

I don't fertilize mine but I have heard people mention good things about miracle grow and cacti

as a general rule of thumb... i would only fert if it was looking difficient... ie yellowish

if its nice and happy green leave it be

a little bit often

use inorganic ferts with arid cacti - organic matter encourages root rots

and organic ferts and inorganic salts with non-arid cacti like Trichocereus

never feed a sick cactus or one ith no roots

They almost always have enough reserves to recover from illness or transplant with only a little moistyure and whats in the soil

once the roots system is good and the tips showing signs of growth then feed weekly with 1/4 or 1/2 strength fert

seaweed emulsions condition the osil with alginates and the plant with growth promoters

they act in ways complimentar to but unlike fertlisers

they are great for the late summer feeeds to strengthen plants for dormancy

i remeber somebody saying he uses yates cacti fert, but i could never find this product.

so normal fert 1/5 strengh or even weaker, if starved for long.allways water the day befor you use liquid ferts, so no roots or tissue gets burned...

lophs like fert too, but even less.

the color change of a ferted loph can be very obvious at times, from redish sick to more greenish within day's! without those nutrients the loph is more prone to sunburn and disease.

but don't overdo it, too much fert is worse (can kill a plant / cacti) than to little.

[ 13. December 2004, 07:33: Message edited by: planthelper ]