The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
philistine

lophophora seed

Ive got a couple of questions about germinating lophophora seeds. Ive successfully started two batches so far, but the third, most recent batch hasn't been as successful.

All the conditions have been the same each batch (heat mat, propagation dome, soil mix etc.) and with the first two i got a total of about 60-70% germination within 3 weeks.

So far with this batch only 7 seeds have sprouted out of 50 (and that was well within 2 weeks) and its been about a month.

Are the rest just taking their time to sprout? And is there an amount of time in which you could safely say that if they haven't sprouted yet, they never will?

This batch of seeds is labelled var. fricii does this variation take longer to germinate maybe?

thanks!

I got less sprouts out of var fricii myself. I think it's just a lower yielding variety. You should have gotten over 7 out of 50. You may have just been unlucky or perhaps a few more will come up. They say to let them go 60 days to get them all but I've found few if any come up after the first month. Sounds like you've been doing everything right so it may have been bad luck.

Stoney

maybe they are old or had funny environmental conditions

not uncommon for some to come up in normal time (3 weeks) then some later.

just wait and see i guess

if it worked before then the conditions are fine

only diff could be a possible fungal infection? u should see very fine white fluff on seeds