The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
infinite_monkey

grafting with opuntia

just a general question, any one tried this had success etc, do you think it would be possible to graft more than one cactus onto a single pad.

have a few youngins i would like to get a push along and was thinking that could use the opuntia to give em a quick nudge for a couple of months, also my other motive is got an ariocarpus that i would like to save and a graft may be in order

(i think i amy have answerd my question about how many per pad, but still curious if people have tried)

[ 14. October 2004, 16:22: Message edited by: infinite_monkey ]

HI all, Im new here, so if I repeat something thats already been covered.... just don't shoot me

As for grafting more than one scion per pad, I actually just tried it a few days ago with some lophophora seedlings.

Started with two Opuntia sp. pads, one in active growth, the other at least a year old and stuck two seedlings on each one.

Its been 4 days and Ive kept them in a mini greenhouse type thing with a heat mat underneath. They're all alive and green except for one that kinda.... liquified... that one was on the older Opuntia pad.... Ive never grafted seedlings before so I have no idea if they'll work... but the fact that one died and the other 3 are still green and juicy makes me think they were successful...

I imagine that (if) once they get to any decent size they might push each other off... it's also possible that the rootstock may "favour" one scion over the other as a terminal shoot (apical dominance) and one might grow slower or maybe not at all.

However this is all just speculation.... anyway, if they work I'll post a photo or something...