The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Rev

A few pics for discussion

1 Sceletium tortuosum

Silverhill seeds. Quite different from the Ed strain. Later this year ill post a summer dormancy pic when the differences are most striking.

normal_S_tortuosum.jpg

2. Lophophora leftovers on Chamaecereus hybrid

The leftover bit from a Loph pup after the top was sliced for grafing

On the upper left you see a growing point

The stock is not rooted. For pressure the graft was placed ' on its head' in a large test tube

normal_Loph_chamaecereus.jpg

3.Mammilaria heyderi

From Bunnings cacti section. $3.58 - ill have to key it out n see if ist the real thing

I have a much larger M heyderi ssp gaumerii but thatsfrom the Yucatan and quite an outlier

However ist looks very similar when age is taken into account

Anyone else keep these? These, M oliviae and M craigii sound like the candidates - unfortunately theres quite a few varieties of M heyderi to collect and test.

normal_M_heyderii.jpg

I also want to apologise for getting the pics in the wrong places around the gallery. Ill try to be more careful in future.

[ 05. October 2004, 14:36: Message edited by: reville ]

i have a few Mammilaria craigii and dont look much like that one mine are lighter green and have the same radial spines of that one but they also have a considerably longer centre spine that is red, read some where apparently that centre spine is characteristic of craigii though cant remember where i read it and probably completly of topic and nowhere near what you were asking sorry

a good way keeping different sceletium strains apart is by there flowering time for example, ed's flowers 2 weeks later than my other sceletiums.

Hey Reville, I'd say that that Mammillaria there is a heyderi, most likely subspecies heyderi. M. heyderi is quite variable, even among the same subspecies.

~Michael~