The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
firstaid

Loph Growing???

I am new on this board so forgive my ignorance. I am having problems with growing my loph's from seed. I have only a few left and everytime I get them germinated they seem to darken and dye. Possibly due to direct sunlight but any suggestions would help. I'm getting frustrated because my resources are limited so I can't afford to kill anymore of my babies off due to my terrible growing skills.

Guest Psilo_smylin

Hi First aid

I have not grown these yet, but could suggest using a fluro (grow lux type) tube and a basic incubator for nurture early grrowth.

As far as I know they grow best (in the wild) in medium shade and in cultivation weak direct sunlight or artificial light should be ok.

There are many articles around here on cultivating cacti and I believe if you look at the books (under S.A.B, web store, books)

oh what the hey, 'Closet Cactus Care' by M.S Smith $10.00 at: http://www.shaman-australis.com/Website/Sh...ageframeset.htm

Seek and you shall find.

Good luck

Smylin smile.gif

P.s if you don't have any luck,

I may be able to sell you a live button or two.

[This message has been edited by Psilo_smylin (edited 29 March 2001).]

Psilo_smylin please email me and I will take you up on that offer. I thought the cactus needed a little humidity so I use the 120 watt grow light which creates heat. It works but not well. I have gone throught 30 seeds and now only have three growing. I have worked hard and only killed my babies off. I will look at the books available. Again, shoot me an email. I will buy the coat buttons from ya!

Thaks Again,

firstaid

Guest Ramon

If when they darken they are turning a red colour then I would say it it is definately too much sun at this stage.

Lophs will tolerate full sun but that is later on and even then it is best to introduce then into it.

If you are giving your seedlings direct sun then I am fairly confident that it is sunburn that is killing them off.

Yeah, unfortunatly I've gone through Thirty seeds to learn this. Now, I have only three germinated. At one point I thought I would have to adapt them to direct sunlight but again my ignorace costed me. Don't worry Ramon I all ready had a memorial service for all twenty-seven Loph's that died(lol). Now I need to find me something to use as bottom heat. I have no idea where to get something like this but I want to make a desetarium. I'm starting the carnivorous terrarium now. Wish me luck.

try using the heating unit from a waterbed for bottom heat.

Heck yeah, that's a great idea! I've been looking all over on the internet for something to use. Thanks for the tip W-Dragon.