The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Captain Rats

Best way to treat fungus?

Guest Captain Rats

Hi everyone,

The T.pachanoi I bought recently has small black lumps popping up all over it. Some of them have dried up and left a light brown dry scab. This same scab is growing in zig-zag patterns near the base and im not sure if its related to the black spot. From my research I think its fungus but im new to growing cacti so I just want to make sure and ask. What's the best way to treat it if it is? And can anyone point me to a good, thorough book on growing/grafting/looking after etc. cacti?

TIA Cap.

Guest wira

It probably won't kill your plant, but it's good to reduce it's spread. I usually dab a layer of Savlon antiseptic cream over the spots/lumps as they appear. This usually makes the lump dry out and die within a few weeks, and doesn't hurt the cactus.

Originally posted by wira:

Savlon antiseptic cream over the spots/lumps as they appear.

For External Use Only.

Never heard of that Wira. Cool idea.

[This message has been edited by darcy (edited 31 December 2001).]

Guest Captain Rats

That's easy enough. Thanks Wira.

Cap.

Guest wira

It wasn't my idea, I heard of it from someone else , and was delighted to find it seems to work quite well. If this is all you're using it for, a tube can last just about forever, unless you have a massive cactus garden with regular problems wink.gif

Guest wira

I think you're right, theobromus... I recall he told me about the Betadine, but wasn't sure if it was also he who told me about this... though it probably was!