The Corroboree
KittyParty

Cutting old growth soft/thin

Hi corrobee. I was able to obtain some nice genetics of south american columner succulents over a few months. All have started rooting and are in full sun. Starter them in a sunny window for a month.

Jealous of you Australians you all seem to have the best genetics. None the less I was able to procure some good ones.

Anyway, my question about my cuttings is this. While most are doing well, there are a few that the old growth is either thin and weak looking and or soft, although not showing rot or any disease.

The new growth is firm and healthy feeling.

Has anyone dealt with this? Will this effect their life in the long run? Any suggestions or comments? I guess that's all for now, thanks!

"thin and weak looking" often means they came off plants that didn't get enough light, but it can also mean they were in pots and weren't given enough food. "soft" (when it's not rot) means that the cutting has spent a long time between being cut and being planted, so it's become dehydrated. Alternatively, it could mean the plant it originally came from was dehydrated. If the new growth is fine, then everything will most likely turn out okay. The etiolated (thin) part will fatten up a little, but never completely. It will probably pup from the base more readily than a plant that's not etiolated, because it simply can't provide resources to the tip as fast as it wants to. The softness should go away completely as it absorbs water. If parts of it don't improve, or start getting worse, it might indicated that it spent too long in that condition and is starting to rot. If that happens, you're probably best off cutting those parts off.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ballzac said:

"thin and weak looking" often means they came off plants that didn't get enough light, but it can also mean they were in pots and weren't given enough food. "soft" (when it's not rot) means that the cutting has spent a long time between being cut and being planted, so it's become dehydrated. Alternatively, it could mean the plant it originally came from was dehydrated. If the new growth is fine, then everything will most likely turn out okay. The etiolated (thin) part will fatten up a little, but never completely. It will probably pup from the base more readily than a plant that's not etiolated, because it simply can't provide resources to the tip as fast as it wants to. The softness should go away completely as it absorbs water. If parts of it don't improve, or start getting worse, it might indicated that it spent too long in that condition and is starting to rot. If that happens, you're probably best off cutting those parts off."

Thanks for the reply ballz. You are probably right about some not being  planted fast enough and they became dehydrated. I hope you're right that they will fatten up and become healthy. One with the soft old growth but not too thin is a pretty nice sized cut I believe is a legitimate psycho it's a beauty.

Some of the sellers must have cut and had them sitting longer back than others because a lot of the cuts were sitting in a box for a couple month and I bought them all at the same time while I waiting for warm weather. Like I said some are doing great while others are acting as I have said earlier.

Edited by KittyParty
Obvious gramatical error