The Corroboree
pinegapcontrol

help with valerian root, harvesting, drying, storage.

Hi all, the full moons coming soon and my valerian seems large enough to harvest some roots, ive never done it before and just wondering how i might go about it. im guessing its pretty simple but just wanted to check if there are any dos and donts that a novice like myself might be unaware of.

at this stage my plan is to wash of the soil as best i can, harvest a sustainable amount of root, dry it out of direct sunlight, and then store in the freezer.

That's pretty much what I've done with all of mine. I'll just yank it up out of the ground "probably loosing a lot of roots but I have TOONS growing" Cut off the leaves and stalks, use my water hose to wash off the Dirt as best I can but I take my time doing this so as to get as much off as I can. Then I set it inside under a fan of mine and it seems to dry within about 24 to 36 hours. I cut it into small chunks and grind it up in a coffee grinder then load it into my capsules "because the smell sickens me" with some dried and ground up Chamomile and pop a few at night when I ready to pass out :wink:

• Like 2

Hi all - as this is my first post hopefully a silly question will be forgiven: I'm about to harvest some valerian (difficulty sleeping and do not want to go down the benzo route) and was wondering if it'd be fine to dry out the roots on top of an enclosed fire - or will this cause a loss of active ingredients? Don't have ready access to a conventional oven as in old rental house in the country. Cheers.

Your best bet is to wash them in fresh water, then prep as a green tincture.

Basically this is a tincture (an alcohol extraction of the fresh herbs).

Their are many advantages of this method of prep, it will last forever and the active chemical components that give the plant its effects will enter the bloodstream faster

Drying on top of an enclosed fire will indeed cause them to loss potency. The proper way to dry is to hang them inside, upside down in a well ventilated area out of direct sunlight.