The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
mutant

Bio-solutions for mealies in succulents and cacti roots

I am not sure if they are the same above and underground , if its the same "disease"

please help out... want to mess with bio and man friendly materials to fuck them whiteys up

OVERGROUND:

I have seen it on the branches of the delosperma sp. 'bonzai' I am trying to make

but also some other succulents some times.

seen in on mandrake too ...

also astrophytum asterias and capricorn...

I think its the same fucker olive trees get, this or similar... get it on branches and junctions... white stuff..

I have seen this , but never seen insects, in cactus spines, little white coccoons...

usually the cactus that spines have coccoons have their roots affected also..

ROOTS:

astrophytum sp, gymnocalicium sp, etc... in general most of real cacti could catch mealies in the roots...

rarely I ahve seen this in succulents too...

so what do you suggest?

this is fungal right???

go with chemical or bio warfare??

i hear hot water will kill root mealies dead, some people say not to worry about them too,

above ground mealies can't to just scrape them off and be diligent about it?

Edited by bot6

I use azamax seems to have zapped root mealies.. used as a soil drench I didn't even do the strongest dose like towards a middle

dose and just soaked the pots for about 15 mins..

above ground it depends on the plant.. if its opuntias and cereus i've used diluted alcohol applied late in the day when theres still

enfuff warmth to evaporate quickly... not sure how biofriendly it is.. just a little dangerous @ gotta avoid breating it.. or you can apply it to

them with a cotton swab or just blow them away with a hose and a toothbrush

I have read (but never tried) that above ground mealies can't stand fish emulsions and that dousing the plant with a strong

spray will make them go away... i've been out of fish for a while ... i think you still have to scrape off the old ones and spray

so the little invisible ones will go away or something maybe check into that

just in a quick search I found this

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/houseplt/msg0315043515661.html

i didn't even read it all tho im hungry

The above ground ones I remove manually. Root mealies i tend not to worry about untill i'm repotting. When that time comes I blast the fckrs off with a hose. I'm pretty sure the majority of my plants in pots, definately all my trichs have root mealies. They don't seem to mind to much?

Mealies in the root zone are dealt with a systemic in my case and even then they are a bitch to remove!!

above ground cottonball with metho will kill em but is also a bit brutal imo lol

Mutant mealies aren't a fungus they are an insect. And I think root mealie bugs might be different to the above ground ones, but am not too sure