The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
maddogmorgan

sassafras tree

Guest Psilo_smylin

Just to reconfirm an earlier post.

I know of many, many trees in the area that have escaped the furniture trade's cutting edge.

I'm just looking in the 'Native Trees and Shrubs of S.E Australia' book and it should set seed between Sep-Dec.

I will have seed as soon as is available and would be very happy to see it cultivated and re-established in "cleared" areas.

However, don't you have both N.S.W Sass.(Doryphora sassafras) and Southern Sass. near your area Torsten?

IMO it is a wonderful plant and should'nt be fucked with chemically (i.e safrol) just take it E-Z wink.gif

Whoa....Taxi!!!

Did I see something about cuttings up there???

Torsten is that so?

Just found some info on it.

I'll see what happens.

soilnP_slimy smile.gif

I am soon going to collect some cuttings of Doryphora sassafras, D. aromatica, and Daphnandra repandula from up here. I'm not going to go digging up roots. Will just try to propagate stem pieces. I love growing cuttings of cool plants I find about the place. Its cool watching them shoot little roots out. Every day I come home and check all the jars to see how my cuttings are going. I've got a Brugmansia sp. cutting that's been sitting in a jar of water for about five months its still growing happily (although slowly) and it has heaps of roots. I was stoked to see my Argyreia cuttings have just poked out some little root shoots.

Anyway, I'll share my experiences of trying to grow sassafras from cuttings soon hopefully. Oh and has anyone heard of Duboisia hopwoodii or D. myoporoides growing from cuttings? I suspect its possible, given that lots of Solanaceaeous plants seem to be easily grown from cuttings provided you've got the right bit. Might go and collect these while i'm out collecting the Sassies if anyone's interested?

Are there any other plants that grow up here that people think I should collect some genetic diversity for? I would like to make the most of this year in terms of collecting things because I'm going back to Perth next year.

Good luck with the Sass.

Fractalhead.

Hello Hello

Calling all victorians looking for Native sassafras treelets!!!!

I found Kuranga selling the N.S.W Sassafras Doryphora sassafras in there rainforest collection area (in the corner with all the ferns).

For those who want to know were Kuranga is follow the link: www.kuranga.com.au

E D

ps. it is not anywhere near Wombat Gully in emerald, Hello hello.

(NOT brought to you by hellohello.com.au)

Hey, they now also sell southern sassafras tubestocks for ~3 bucks at Kuranga.

E D