The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
CLICKHEREx

“Substance Abuse” Is a Label We Should All Reject & The End of the Addict

http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/717897-Substance-Abuse-Is-a-Label-We-Should-All-Reject-amp-The-End-of-the-Addict

toothpastedog View Profile View Forum Posts Private Message View Blog Entries View Articles Add as Contact Send Email

Bluelighter

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Join Date Dec 2010

Location Fascist Valley, USA

Posts 1,880

Blog Entries20 Today 11:09 Sorry if this was already posted. Didn't see it and thought they were great articles.

Substance Abuse Is a Label We Should All Reject - http://www.substance.com/abuse/

The End of the Addict - http://www.drugpolicy.org/blog/end-addict

Substance Abuse Is a Label We Should All Reject

There is clear evidence that the phrases "substance abuse" and "substance abuser" harm, as well as disparage, people with addiction. It's time to ditch these terms.

Originally Posted by Maia Szalavitz | March 24, 2014

Abuse is an ugly word. Child abuse, sexual abuse, physical abuse, emotional abuse, domestic abuse. And then, of course, theres substance abuse.

But one of those things is not like the others: In all of the other types of abuse, there is a perpetrator who is harming a victim. In substance abuse, however, it makes no sense to argue that the victim is the poor innocent line of methamphetamine or glass of Chardonnay. The damage doneboth by the problem and by the termis focused primarily on substance users themselves. The label is far from innocuous, and I vote that we retire it.

Debates over language often seem absurd or trivial. However, they make a difference in how issues are framed and therefore what solutions are proposed. Frame addiction as substance abuse and it is easy to see why it should be a crime, but call it substance use disorder and it sounds like something to be treated medically. If we want to make progress in ending stigma, we should think hard about the words we use.

In the case of substance abuse, there is empirical evidence of the harm that this framing can do. In a 2010 study, researchers surveyed over 500 mental health practitioners at a conferencetwo thirds of whom had PhDs. Participants were asked to determine treatment for two hypothetical patients who were identical except that one was labeled as having a substance use disorder and the other was said to be a substance abuser.

Despite their training, the practicing clinicians favored a more punitive approach when the patientwho was described as having relapsed during court-ordered treatmentwas labeled as being an abuser as opposed to having a disorder. More clinicians supported jail or community service rather than further treatment for the substance abuser.

This is one reason why the recent revision of the DSMpsychiatrys diagnostic manualno longer includes substance abuse as a diagnosis. The term brings up stigmatizing associations between abusive behavior and drug takingeven though the vast majority of people with drug problems do not engage in child abuse, sexual abuse or domestic violence. While the DSM revision made many mistakesfor example, it conflates the milder substance-problem diagnosis with the more severe one (mild problems do not require abstinence and the last thing we need is more reason to apply one size fits all treatment in this area), the editors were right to get rid of the abuse label.

But there is another reason why labeling someone a substance abuser or as having a substance use disorder matters. That is, the substance abuser label encompasses the whole person, defining him or her by dysfunction. In contrast, the substance use disorder tag simply describes one problem, rather than an entire identity.

It will be hard to get rid of a term that is so ubiquitous that it is enshrined in the name of the research agency of the federal government that studies drugs (the National Institute on Drug Abuse, natch) and in the most popular (though actually ineffective) prevention program, DARE, or Drug Abuse Resistance Education. But advocates in other areas have managed to remove many other similarly common anddare I sayabusive terms from public dialogue and polite company.

Advocates for people with mental illness have long argued for language that puts people first: In this case that would mean that instead of using the terms addict or alcoholic, use person with addiction or person with alcoholism. While in principle I agree, in practice I occasionally slip because the phrase makes for clunky language. Still, I think that using people first language forces the writer think about stigma and how they are portraying their subjects. While it probably has a less conscious effect on readers, it at least subliminally asserts the fact that those who suffer from these effects are human. We have been seen as objects by other people for too long.

As much as anything, having a politically correct term for a condition chosen by those affected also signals that our activism is coming of age and gaining power. (For example, ironically many autistic people actually reject the person first approach and prefer the term autistics because they do believe that their condition defines their identityand the media is beginning to use this language as activists have spoken out about it.)

People with addiction also need to think hard about other language we use. Take the terms junkie or dope fiend. I think they are acceptable only if used ironically or by people who have addictionsjust as stigmatizing words for black people or gay people are only acceptable when used by members of those groups. I also believe that when we use these terms about ourselves, we need to consider their implications: Am I using this word because it is the right one for the situation or because I still have remnants of the self-hate that the stigma of addiction exacerbates?

If we want to be understood as patients with an illness like any other, careful use of language is essentialas is making sure we do not inadvertently further stigmatize ourselves. For example, consider the commonplace assumption that addiction is always accompanied by compulsive lying and other criminal behavior.

In fact, many people with addictions do not lie except when it comes to hiding their conditionand some do not dissemble even then if the conditions of their life permit this. Research shows that addicted people tell the truth about their use (as correlated with objective measures like urine tests) so long as acknowledging their use will not be used against them. The connection between addiction and lying is in part an artifact of the criminalization of some drugs. The rest of the link can be accounted for by the fact that people with personality disorders like antisocial personality disorder are not only more likely to become addicted and more likely to be criminals, but more likely to be compulsive liars.

The same is true for the link between violence and drug problems: Violence among drug users is linked to drug prohibition, antisocial personality disorder and to having grown up with violence, not addiction per se. Most drugswith the exception of alcoholare not themselves pharmacologically linked with violence, and when they are, the perpetrator almost always has a prior history of it. Addiction doesnt typically make people into unrecognizable monsters: It exaggerates the problems they already have.

If we want to fight addiction, then, it is important that we separate out the contribution of addictive disorders to the problems seen in people with addictions. Addictions are not caused by character defects and they dont call forth immoral behavior from out of the blue. The way to start is by being careful about what we call ourselves, about what we see as the essential characteristics of addiction and how we understand our condition.

http://www.substance.com/abuse/

The End of the Addict

Im breaking up with the word "addict" and I hope youll do the same.

Originally Posted by Meghan Ralston |March 24, 2014

Addict is one of those words that so many of us use, largely without pausing to wonder if we should. We just take for granted that its totally okay to describe a human being with one word, addicta word with overwhelmingly negative connotations to many people.

We dont really do that for other challenging qualities that can have a serious impact on people's lives. We dont say, my mother, the blind, or my brother, the bipolar. We dont say, my best friend, the epileptic, or my nephew, the leukemia.

We dont do that because we intuitively understand how odd it would sound, and how disrespectful and insensitive it would be. We dont ascribe a difficult state as the full sum of a persons identity and humanity. Maia Szalavitz eloquently expressed similar frustration with terms like substance abuser in her recent piece at substance.com. [3]

When we do feel the need to reference a state of disability, challenge or disease when describing a human being, we say something like, my mother has cancer, or my nephew has leukemia. And we would almost certainly never let that be the only thing said about that person, something that defined them. We do not say or suggest that a person is their challenge. We remember that they are a person first, then if appropriate indicate their challenge as one factor of their existence.

Why can't we be that intelligently sensitive with people struggling with drugs [4]?

For many people, myself included, the word addict is incredibly harmful and offensive. You do not have my permission to call me an addict. You can of course refer to yourself as an addict, if you wish, but please do not refer to everyone physically or psychologically dependent on drugs as an addict.

The sense of fear, loathing, otherness and less than created by that word far outweighs any benefits of using linguistic shorthand to quickly describe a person. Addict is a word so singularly loaded with stigma and contempt that its somewhat appalling that we continue to let it be used so easily and indiscriminately.

Even in a chaotic stage of drug use, we are not other. We are women, we are someones daughter, we continue to laugh, we continue to like jazz and cheeseburgers and comfy pajamas. We cry, we get so lonely, we hate sitting in traffic. Addiction can be wretched, no question, but we do not ever stop being human beings, even during the times in our lives when we are dependent on drugs.

I may be in the fight of my life with drugs, but I am not the drugs that I take. I am a fighter, a survivor -- I am never merely an addict. Please do not destroy the totality of who I am by reducing me to that one word. We retain our full humanity despite our challenges, particularly when our challenges are much deeper than our attention-grabbing drug use might suggest.

My days of chaotic substance abuse are long behind me. I am not an addict now, and I wasnt an addict then. Im just a person, who had a period of difficulty, pain and challenge. I battled, I failed, I tried againjust like most people.

Why not try using any of the following as alternatives to calling someone an addict: person dependent on drugs; people struggling with drugs; person in recovery from addiction. The use of person-centric language [5] may seem inconsequential, but I assure you, it is not. It is vitally important to scores of people, most of whom youve never met and never will. They are the people who, in the eyes of the world, are lumped into that other category youve created for them by calling them an addict.

They dont want to be there anymore. Im hoping to tell their story with this blog post. Weve been silent too long. Weve had enough. Pleaseput our humanity first.

Please stop using the word "addict."

http://www.drugpolicy.org/blog/end-addict