The Corroboree
DiscoStu

just post this petition here

not that you should sign it, i feel sorry for the lady and all but i don't see what abbott's going to do about it,

read some of the comments, amounts to basically "i don't like something therefore it should be banned", typical australia

http://www.change.org/en-AU/petitions/tony-abbott-commence-an-inquiry-into-bitcoin-it-s-protecting-drug-dealers

Time and again, when a young person dies like this, we see the same reactionary response from their parents. It's attitudes like hers that set up this whole system that is indirectly responsible for the deaths of many drug users. Why not do something more productive, like calling for the legalisation of relatively harmless drugs like MDMA? Or at least spread a message about the importance of drug testing kits?

Besides, unless I missed something, there is no mention of what her son actually died from. While the specific circumstances of this case do not change whether or not bitcoin should be regulated, it seems odd that this important detail has been left out of an emotional appeal to get a law implemented. Was he sold a substance that was not what he paid for? Did he get what he paid for but took too much? Was he driving drunk and happened to have other drugs in his system? Like I said, it wouldn't change an objective analysis of whether bitcoin should be regulated, but considering that her appeal is far from objective, it would make sense to provide details of what occurred, and to explain how she believes bitcoin is responsible.

• Like 1

Daniel died because he was lured into a world where criminals and drug dealers use an unregulated currency called “bitcoin” to get away with it.
He died from drugs and I know that I can’t bring him back, but if the same laws had been applied to bitcoin as applies to regular currency, it would be easier for the police to find the people who did this

Let's ban cash too. That untraceable shit's been allowing drug dealers to get away with it for years!

• Like 1