The Corroboree
mimzy

Re rooting snapped peres stock?

Hi Cactus Crew,

Unfortunately this little loph on a peres stock was savaged by the postman on its way to me.

IMG 0791

Has anyone had any success with re-rooting snapped peres stock? There is roughly 5cm of stock left on the scion. I'm going to give it a go anyway, but would be good to hear about your experiences.

Thanks!

Edit: more detail

Edited by mimzy

Shouldn't have any problems. Re cut the end so you have a clean cut , dip in rooting hormone and plant in potting mix. I wouldn't plant it to deep as you will wont some of the pere still out of the mix.

Cheers

Got

Shouldn't have any problems. Re cut the end so you have a clean cut , dip in rooting hormone and plant in potting mix. I wouldn't plant it to deep as you will wont some of the pere still out of the mix.

Cheers

Got

Thanks for the advice Goothen. Should I leave it to callous after I dip in hormone powder or just bung it in?

I have never calloused a pere cutting.

After looking at you pic a bit closer you might want to remove the pup of the side and do what this guy does in this link http://forum.auscactiforum.net/t1664-grafting-degrafting-of-cacti-in-2013-2014 as the pere you have left is quite short.

You could then graft the pup onto a Trich stock or try and root it.

Cheers

Got

• Like 1

the guy in the link, seems to know his stuff, but I wonder how, it doesn't cause problems, to leave the peres stump on the arios...

in my experience the peres will rot and can kill even the scion.

as well, that guy grows them too fast maybe, and that's why he claims peres is only good for 2 years, when in fact peres can last for 10 or more years.

goonthen gave good advice and a good link!

so, recut the peres, and re root.

take off pup and graft onto pedro.

if pedro graft fails, you can either try again, or re root the pup on own roots.

Edited by planthelper

I tried a rooting hormone on peres once. The peres rotted ... Just FYI

I was using the yates "purple" for soft wood or something.

I snipped him this morning, used some growth hormone and put him back in the same soil. I hope he survives :). I'm heading to Nepal for a month next week so unfortunately he'll be on his own until November. If the peres fails to root, I think the scion + pups should be ok until I get back and I will either graft them onto a pedro or start them on their own roots.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

• Like 1

Have never used the gel.

I have used powdered hormone for hardwood ( just what I had ) on every pere cutting I have propagated. I have managed to rot about 5 pere at soil level one was a new cutting the others were due to over watering ( left the pots sitting in water ).

I haven't yet tried burying the stock on a graft but the guy that I linked to is a very experienced grower and has some interesting techniques.

Stocks that I have had problems with rotting stock and scion have been Hylocereus. But they were not buried stock just normal grafts.

Cheers

Got

Hi guys- an update for you.

I flew back in from Nepal last night after a month away and found my snapped root stock has sprouted 4-5 new roots! :) I think she and her pups are going to be ok. The rooted side of peres stock is putting on new growth, which will be useful for further grafting.

Everything was looking a bit sad, so i've re-potted the entire collection with fresh cactus soil + perlite and dropped some pebble on top. Quite proud of how they are looking.

The loph collection

Sadly I lost one the smaller lophs (see top right). I suspect white mites, but its hard to tell. I've re-potted it just encase it decides to live.