The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
tanjent

advice for starting ethnogarden?

G'day fellow freax smile.gif

I'm in melb. & wish to start a simple garden to grow mainly vegies/herbs, but would love to include some entheogenic species-(I Have seeds for p.harmala & I.Violacea.) I'm tossing up whether to have an outdoor/greenhouse etc??

as u can tell i'm yet to learn the ways of my greenthumb, any Links or advice would be much appreciated!

Guest reville

try doing search in the archives on plants in melbourne...

ed dunkel has been around here a while and might have something to add...

and of course you are welcome to use and contribute to the AFSR

You will find with a little research that melbourne has a lot to offer the enthogardener

peyote , large san pedro and a range of european, asian and nth american herbs can be found in the garden state..

Hi Tanjent,

I'm in Melbourne.

Pretty much everything I sell, I gow or will grow in this climate.

Some may need a little more attention, or need to be placed inside in winter.

Which end of town are you?

Guest Trichus

my 2c: try a little chaos gardening and let nature decide what works best.

eg throw seeds around and see what germinates where. Let "weeds" grow- shortly after I read about horehound attracting wasps that eat tomato worms, I notice miniature plants all around my tomatoes and peppers. The only thing that I got a little worried about was masses of onion weed growing like a lawn- I decided "oh well" its too late to do anything; I guess it will be OK- I have no idea what happened but the onion weed has 100% disappeared. You get the idea.

I started by just removing and slightly improving a dying lawn. I never water, have a pH of around 4 (highly acid) in most places and my garden is chockers as well as robust. With no real pre determined pattern its a great way to learn too.

Originally posted by Adrian:

Hi Tanjent,

I'm in Melbourne.

Pretty much everything I sell, I gow or will grow in this climate.

Some may need a little more attention, or need to be placed inside in winter.

Which end of town are you?

Thanx for ure replies. I'm in blackburn.

ps Adrian, are u behind 'green house-earthpod'?

Hiya tanjent,

I violacea grows like the clappers here and seeds well in the autumn.

P. harmala also does OK so long it is kept near a north facing wall and dryish in winter. It will loose most of it's foliage but will regrow from the root stock. (It's a trick one to get past seedling stage, the bastards).

Cacti do well, keep peyote inside through the winter tho' (it might survive the cold but probably not in conjuction with the wet).

Heimia does well, Catha goes. Most things go but watch out for tropical plants, keep them warm in the winter.

Just try and tell us how it goes so that we can all learn. smile.gif

E D

Cheers Ed Dunkel, ure help is much appreciated. I'm slowly getting the garden bed ready. i'll let u know how it goes smile.gif

Guest mandragora

Probably a stupid hint und probably too late, but before starting any garden, get a sixpack of beer, and make a plan how the sun is going during the day.

Have fun.