The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Scarecrow

germinating calea z.

I read somewhere that I should not cover the seeds (because of how tiny the seeds are), just keep them moist, but this sounded strange to me... so I lightly covered a few of them and left a few uncovered also to see what works best. There's several seeds in each pot here (you can see a few uncovered ones in the pot in full view to the left)

post-12703-0-08072200-1365561627_thumb.j

I've put them in a little mini greenhouse I bought from bunnings, and this is outside in a fairly sunny spot (it has a little shade protection from the chair it's in). The greenhouse has two small vents on the top... I've been leaving just one of them open. Not sure if I should have them closed or not. I might take the box inside tonight because it's going to cool down a fair bit...

post-12703-0-33532700-1365561581_thumb.j

I'm keeping the soil moist with a misting bottle, which has a bit of "plant starter" added to it.

Anything else I should know/do to help these get started? This is one plant I'm particularly interested in, it would be a shame if I screwed it up and got nothing because I've never planted anything before in my life.

post-12703-0-33532700-1365561581_thumb.jpg

post-12703-0-08072200-1365561627_thumb.jpg

post-12703-0-33532700-1365561581_thumb.jpg

post-12703-0-08072200-1365561627_thumb.jpg

Edited by Scarecrow

I've never planted anything before in my life.

You couldn't have started off with a harder one if u tried...lol

These are notoriously hard to germinate from seed, I managed to get 2 out of maybe 50 to germinate a few months back.

I tried some in the hothouse & some in the greenhouse. Only the hothouse ones germinated, but as soon as they germinated they needed to be moved out of the humid environment into the shade house. Don't give them too much light & don't keep them too wet.

Good luck...ur gonna need it.

• Like 2

don't scare, scarecrow away...

nupe they are easy to germ if the seeds are fresh, you did everything right, good luck.

it seems this seed is loosing it's viability fast, that's why most people report difficulties germinating them.

good luck scarecrow, and I hope you have fresh seeds! :)

• Like 2

You couldn't have started off with a harder one if u tried...lol

These are notoriously hard to germinate from seed, I managed to get 2 out of maybe 50 to germinate a few months back.

I tried some in the hothouse & some in the greenhouse. Only the hothouse ones germinated, but as soon as they germinated they needed to be moved out of the humid environment into the shade house. Don't give them too much light & don't keep them too wet.

Good luck...ur gonna need it.

I am notoriously unlucky. I think we're off to a bad start folks

don't scare, scarecrow away...

nupe they are easy to germ if the seeds are fresh, you did everything right, good luck.

it seems this seed is loosing it's viability fast, that's why most people report difficulties germinating them.

good luck scarecrow, and I hope you have fresh seeds! :)

So do I, haha.

Thanks for the advice guys!

Edited by Scarecrow