The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Zu

Precusor bust?

Yesterday afternoon I caught a news bulletin on triple j saying there had been a big police operation in northern NSW and Gold Coast that had busted a "precursor" supply network.

Does anyone know anything about this? I scoured Australian news sites but couldn't find anything. Was it just a pseudoephedrine ring or something more interesting?

Originally posted by Mesqualero:

Smuggling Ephedrine from Canada

Ahh thanks.

I just found this at the ABC site:

---------------------------------------

Police launch drug raids in Qld, NSW

Crime fighting authorities believe they have smashed a major drug trafficking syndicate after raids on dozens of properties in Queensland and northern New South Wales.

Police seized amphetamines and ecstasy tablets, as well as weapons including firearms and a grenade.

They also restrained more than $4 million worth of bank funds and property under new proceeds of crime laws.

The raids concentrated on properties on the Gold Coast, but premises on Queensland's Sunshine Coast and in northern New South Wales were also targeted.

Twenty-four people have been charged with drug possession, supply and trafficking offences.

Police say it follows an 18-month operation investigating the importation of a precursor chemical into the Gold Coast from Canada.

Queensland Police Minister Tony McGrady has praised the work of Australia's leading crime fighting agencies.

"This raid today, where we have seen state borders destroyed and we have seen federal and state police working together, working together with the CMC [Crime and Misconduct Commission], and they have broken down a gang of people involved in the drug markets, I think this is a great day for policing in Australia," he said.

--------------------------------------

I hope that 'precursor chemical' wasn't 5-HTP. That's guilt by association; ecstacy users take 5HTP for serotonin boosting, therefore everyone who takes 5HTP must be an ecstacy user. Typical specious reasoning from our gov't if this is the case...

My neighbour's lawn flamingo takes 5HTP because it is the only antidepressant that works for it (after 16 years of depression and three years of ineffective SSRI scrips).

I'd hate to think that Big Brother was going to kick down my neighbours' door at 3am expecting to find a cache of MDMA or something that the flamingo bought...

waz