The Corroboree
ambulldog_cacti_newb

Another bunnings id thread

Question

Hi guys I'm a long time lurker on these forums and currently just about to start my cacti collection. I always a have a look when I am in bunnings and these two caught my eye. The first was labelled a peruvian old man and the second just had trichocereus... as the id. Any help would be much appreciated and look forward to purchasing more cacti and learning to id them myself. Also I apologize for the poor picture quality, I only have a phone camera at the moment.

Cheers.

Edit:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/208/img20121124100125.jpg/

Edited by ambulldog_cacti_newb

15 answers to this question

I think you've got to press the button to take pictures man...lol

Just kidding...welcome my friend...keep working on the uploads. :wink:

not sure if it's an issue with your post count and attachments, maybe you can use imgur or something to upload the pictures?

• Like 1

id guessyou have an orocereus spp, 'old man of the andes', and a trichocereus terscheckii, judging only by your brief descriptions and my local bunnings often stocks these :P good luck attaching some photos :)

• Like 1

guess you're having trouble posting pics as well, so no one has to click away

img20121124100125.jpg

hm, you should note my general id skills are pretty bad but i say a tersheckii and no idea what that other one is

hm, you should note my general id skills are pretty bad but i say a tersheckii and no idea what that other one is

Thats what I initially thought it was as well but my id skills are less than average to say the least.

second one could be a Gymnocalycium?

Not a Gymno. The one on the right has a yellow tag in it and it only said Tricho? Looks like maybe pasacana or terscheckii?

Edited by Stillman
  • Like 1

Second Snowfella with Espostoa Lanata and think that stillman is on the right track too. To me, it looks more like a Terscheckii than a Pasacana but the differences are marginally anyway. Would need better pics from the second one to confirm but i guess theres few more left to say. bye Eg

• Like 1

Bunnings is brilliant for Trichocereus cacti. I would recommend you travel around to the various stores too as the 2 Brisbane stores I frequent have different varieties at different times. However, many plants are not tagged and you can get caught out buying a Cereus or something accidentally.

At the Stafford Bunnings I have purchased a few pasacana and terscheckii cacti as well as two small Peruvian Torches all tagged correctly. The Cactus in the photo from the original post would prob be a terscheckii but could be a pasacana as they are very similar (as others have pointed out already).

At the Oxley Bunnings I picked up a few different cactus. Most are not tagged there, however if you know what to look for they have much larger Trichocereus cactus for sale and different types I have not seen for sale in a nursery before. I have picked up a nice large Golden Torch as well as a Large $60 Peruvian Torch from there. They also had a white Golden Torch variant there too. The week after I bought the Peruvian thou I went back and they had replaced it with a large cactus the same size that was so similar to the Peruvian Torch but would probably be a Cereus Peruvians as the segments were deep and thin with a blue/green colour. I do own both Tri. Peru and a Cereus Peru so if you would like photos to compare then just ask.

I have also got two other medium cactus from there that I think are Trichocereus, but I'm not sure and need help with their ID. I'll try n post the photos up in this thread too. From what I can gather they are Tri but I got them more for their aesthetic look anywaz as I have a large cacti collection.

Bunnings is worth a look. All the stores I've tried (with a Garden Center) have had at least some Trichocereus plants. E-Bay is also good for the various types too. I have purchased quite a few common and some uncommon types from e-Bay for quite good prices (usually about $1 per 1cm). It's worth doing a search every few weeks as there is always something different that comes up for bidding. The only Trichocereus cactus I got from e-Bay that was quite expensive was my Penis Cactus. Cost me about $50 for a 7 segment plant around 15cm high, however it is sprouting a few new segments now and I'm glad I finally got one for the collection. Easy to break segments off and make new plants too.

Welcome to the forum Third wheel I think you did well with your TBM for $50 I've seen plants go for about $10-$15 per segment through Ebay This is the best place on Earth for Tricho seeds or cuts.

Not a Gymno. The one on the right has a yellow tag in it and it only said Tricho? Looks like maybe pasacana or terscheckii?

Yeh it only had Tricho written on it.

Second Snowfella with Espostoa Lanata and think that stillman is on the right track too. To me, it looks more like a Terscheckii than a Pasacana but the differences are marginally anyway. Would need better pics from the second one to confirm but i guess theres few more left to say. bye Eg

Cheers for the id of the Espostoa Lanata. The other one I shall take a better photo and post up before I go for a look at the other bunnings in the area.

Well and truly have the cacti bug and can't wait to get more. I would really like some bigger cacti but patience is a virtue.