The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Gwydion

In Peru

That's right, I am. I arrived a few days ago and am acclimatising just nicely, thank you very much.

Due to my unfortunate geographical distribution, however, I may not be posting very much for the next couple of months, so stay cool, etc.

Pity my spanish is so crap, tho'.

Ciao.

heh he eh , same here WD,...

Dear Gwydion, I would like a dyploteries C plant, if you go the amazon region ,and get your hands on Dyplopteries cabrerana, notify me .... @ [email protected]

Cauze I will have you send it to probably the only person in Peru that can export live plants without too much hassle.

BTW folks, If Gwydion sends me the Dyplopteries, that will I will be making it available to some of you out there.... he he he he , for a good & honest price of course.

So kindly persuade Gwydion to actively look for it and have him contact me.... smile.gif hehe

I am serious, G, if you can, let me know, I am not kidding about that dude in Peru either. After all , It is almost Christmas smile.gif

No serious, why is that plant so hard to obtain outside of S.America?????

Guest reville

Well how about starting a realistic wishlist

for Gwydion?

Im sure that trip cost alot so im sure if opportunity is there itd be nce to ecoup a little bit.

Cactus seed or cuttings would be good.

If you see San pedro and its relatives in fruit its relatively easy to extract thousands of seeds. And if you visit a market where they are sold then these cuttings would be good ones to collect.

Not just pedro either but others like Neoraimondia macrostibas (?) which i think is an admixture to cimora.

Capi cuttings would be good too though might not be as easy to find. If you get lucky you might be able to get seeds.

Tobacco seeds off indigenous crops

Brugmansia seeds and cuttings

theres heaps more no doubt that you may find accessible. Im no expert on Peruvian plants, so if you are - speak up! smile.gif

urmenetea atacamensis would be

my holy grail. it grows in

the atacama or suri dessert.

Righto.

Haven´t seen any fruiting pedros yet, but this is one of the things my eyes are peeled for. And tobacco´s always an option. (Aaah, if only coca were legal). Talking of which (legality, that is, not coca, isn´t it illegal to import trichs)?

Neraimondia- well, the last time I tried to get this was from Arizona Cactus Nursery in Sydney. I called them only to find that, yes, they had it- one plant- and it was not for sale. I don´t know what has happened to that one, nor do I know what the little dears look like, so if anyone coud enlighten me....

As for diploterys and urmenetea;

What is the distribution of d. cabrerana, and how do you suppose I can best find it?;-)

What does urmenetea look like? Is there a decent weblink on it, or could you post some info?

If possible, I might just take you up on that offer, brian. As you said, it IS almost christmas.

If it´s of any help, I´m currently heading for Bolivia, where I´ll enter the amazon for the first time before returning to Peru. Anything growing around Rurre taking your fancies? (Apart from coca, which, I may add, tastes particularly odd, but is VERY nice as a tea; and doesn´t really grow near Rurre, but near Coroico nearby). It is also in more directions than I can poke a stick at. Almost as much as apaca wool).

Ciao for now.

Guest reville

Trichocereus and Echinopsis off the ICON database today

yes you can send clean seed, clearly labelled back to Oz.

Condition C7181

Non-commercial consignments of seed of this species may be permitted

entry into Australia subject to inspection on arrival. Seed must be free from soil,

live insects, plant material (eg fruit pulp, leaf or stem material, etc), contamination

with prohibited seeds and packed in new containers that are clearly labelled with

the botanical name.

Packets of mixed seed are not permitted entry as non-commercial consignments

due to the difficulties of inspecting them for contaminants.

hi,

i know this plant only from one sorce,

the photo showes a tiny 10 cm plant with

leaves of color like salvia officinalis,

but the shape of the leaves is like

the mint herb. its synonimous with the

SURI,bird and oasis people of north chile!

check: http://shaman-australis.com/ubb/Forum2/HTM...TML/000470.html

a tranlation of c.raetsch

Well, due to the fact i can´t breathe anymore, forget the altiplano, and all the weeds that grow on it.

I{m not gonna be able to find any D. cabrerana (it would require a deliberate and planned foray with military discipline just to vaguely locate it), and no-one so far knows of ´coqilla´; and I´m not gonna combine soroche with salty deserts just to look for a weed. :-) Sounding bitter? Must be the flu, shits and shortness of breath. *smile*

I´ve seen a LOT of flowering pedros, but none in fruit so far. Who would have thought that from cusco to ollantaytambo the railway is literally lined with peruvianus?

The locals are no help either- the peruvians are too busy trying to create the largest garbage dump in the world and the bolivians would rather tell you about the egyptian mummies with coca leaves in their stomach who are wearing alpaca jumpers- a combination which is apparently proof that the Tiawanaku culture, replete with alternating swastikas, is the origin of all civilisation. :-p

Oh well, at least the food isn´t any good, or I might end up staying here.

As for brugmansias, they are all (except apparently B. x candida) assessed as weeds (ICON), and I may as well try and bring a box of coca seeds.

Excuse the bitterness, I´ve gotta go and pollute lake titicaca again. :-/

ha ha ah ha, c o o l, shortness of breath, liquid doo doo, bad food etc etc....

Still wish i was there dude,

No worries bout the Dyplopteries C, but in case you do... U know what to do.

If you go to the Amazonas regions, either pucallapa or iquitos, ask around if you can see where the plants grow in the wild or even ask if you can get cuttings. say about 30cm's long and 2 cm's thick should survive.

Pedros growing everywhere.... hmmmm, interesting... he he he ....

BTW ReVeReNd ReViLLe, I canget a variety of trich seeds bloody cheap.

K dude, Be well & have fun!

[This message has been edited by brian (edited 23 December 2002).]

Guest reville

Hi Brian

can you contact me please? your profile does not include your e-mail and ive lost it.

r