The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Rev

Codonocarpus cotinifolius

Again too excited to sleep b4 i put this up :):( i know ill regret it tomorrow :(

Native poplar

Family: Gyrostemonaceae

Native Poplar is a tree which grows to about 8m. The Bark is smooth, often greyish, but sometimes cream-coloured.

normal_Codonocarpus_habit_WA.jpg

normal_Codonocarpus_community.jpg

It strongly resembles the European poplar, and tends to be conical in outline.It is short lived, growing rapidly to its full heigh, and may lean markedly to one side as it develops. The leaves are green to greyish green, always broad and somewhat rounded, but ocassionally slightly pointed. They are up to 5

cm long and are borne in an alternate fashion on long stalks.

normal_Codonocarpus_foliage_close.jpg

The native poplar has separate male and femals plants. The ,ale flowers are borne on short stalks which arise in the axils of teh stems and branches. The femals flowers are very prominanet and occur in open clusters, particularly near the apex of the tree. The fruits are bell shaped, distincyively segmented, about 1 cm across and about 1.5cm longs. One seed is found in each of the segmnets and these eventually fall free from each other to the ground.

normal_Codonocarpus_fruits.jpg

Habitat: Native poplar occupies two distinct habitat. It occurs on limestone or 'opaline' country in major drainage tracts, where it is prominent above limetsone wattle, pebble bush and sago bush. It is also and important plant on spinifex sandplains, wher eit appears in large numbers after fire.

Forage value: Native poplar does not have any forage value since it is rarely eaten. It has been suspected of causing stock deaths, but tests for poisonaous principles have proved negative

Indicator value: Native poplar has no (rangeland conditions) value

source:Arid shrubland planst of western australia

A.A> Mitchell and D.G. Wilcox

2nd edition 1994

Desert poplar

Aboriginal name: KANDURANGU (Meekathara)

habitat: Red sandy soils in drier inland regions

Size and form: Small erect short lived tree or tall shrub, up to 4 m tall. Smooth pinkish trunk

Leaves: Broad oval tapering to a point 2-5cm long. Dull waxy bright grey-green. Borne on long stalks

Flowers: Small insignificant attached to long stalks near ens onf branchlets

Fruits: Small bellshaped 1 cm long. Comprising 30-50 segmnets which separate when dry.

Uses: The roots or leaves are chewd as a narcotic, or occassionally made into a 'tea'. Rolled sections of leaf are placed in dental caries to provide relief from toothache. Roots or leaves are powdered with Acacia cuthbertsonii and rubbed on aching limbs or teeth.

Comments: Grubs in the roots of this plant must be eviscerated before eaten, as they are said to conatin a 'poison'

Source: Useful bush plants

Peter bindon

Western Australian Museum 1996

revs notes

very peculiar smell very pungent

not like any oil i know nor did it seem cyanogenic

stank out the car

a related rainforest species of QLD and NSW has similar notes written of it (C. attentuatus)

no bioassay or germination attempted yet

(need smokewater)

http://www.tecnica.com.au/regen%20species.html

[ 16. December 2004, 01:49: Message edited by: reville ]

normal_Codonocarpus_locality.jpgCodonocarpus habitat - roadside remant vegetation. Stand is senescent and there is a lot of rabbit activity nearby normal_Codonocarpus_nowhere_to_run.jpg

The adjacent landscape

This is also Duboisia country BTW

The other 2 species...

http://plantnet.rbgsyd.gov.au/cgi-bin/NSWf...me=Codonocarpus

Codonocarpus pyramidalis - presumed extinct in NSW

"Codonocarpus pyramidalis (F. Muell.) F. Muell. is listed as PRESUMED EXTINCT on the schedules of the NSW Threatened Species Conservation Act. Two major sources were used in deciding to list the species at the introduction of the Threatened Species Conservation Act in 1995:"

http://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/npws.n...species+listing

030_2.jpg

031_2.jpg

(pics from SA)

www.environment.sa.gov.au/ botanicgardens/pdfs/honours_projects.pdf

Codonocarpus attentuatus

http://www.treat.net.au/f40miles.html

http://plantnet.rbgsyd.gov.au/cgi-bin/NSWf...rpus~attenuatus

[ 16. December 2004, 01:48: Message edited by: reville ]

Codonocarpus cotinifolius - although the book says that it was also within my range (SW-NSW) i didn't get to see any of it on my recent trip into the arid zone but then again i was searching only one particular type of micro environment and as far as i could see there might have been up to half a dozen different micro environments all within 5 clicks of one another as the crow flies.

i did see D.hopwoodii of course and i have been trying to germinate some of that, for the record i planted some Codonocarpus cotinifolius seed (yours rev) into two of my pituri trays on Dec 02 2004, this being in that red desert sand medium, no movement yet, never mind the smoke water dude, i saw no sign watsoever that there had been fire out my way for at least a couple of decades, u have to be patient with desert plants, and some recent succesful germinations of desert lime have re-inforced this to me, these plants seem to be very 'season' dependant, i have put in a number of types of desert seeds for germination and will not be surpried if i go for up to a year before they move, i now realize that through my rashness i may have turffed out at least one perfectly good trayfull of desert lime seed, boo-hoo my loss.

KANDURANGUseed.jpg

Codonocarpus cotinifolius seed

sorry to hear that your gnome hasn't had the chance to do a road test on the bell fruit tree yet, the pituri 'herb' has now fermented and has been set out to dry, my gnome wants to do some quick tests on it to see how well it makes the insects buzz when used as an insecicide, our cherry trees are full of bugs and i used to soak my cigarette butts in water then spay the trees with it, it worked well but i dont smoke tobacco anymore and have no access to clean butts anymore either so i think we will have to use the pituri instead, who knows, trading pituri as an insecicide might be to best way to distribute it.