The Corroboree
sc001

growing light

Hi, recently i bought Philips 6500k cool day light for my plant but now im noticng black spots on the leaves which is from the light as the plants are indoor.

What is the distance there should be between light and plant, and for how may hours and when do i need to turn it on??

this is current set up

http://www.keepandshare.com/userpics/s/a/m/0/01/2012-06/sb/img_0111-37728975.jpg?ts=1339930600

thanks

sounds like u need ventilation :P and air movment

Edited by naja naja
  • Like 1

sry, i didn't look at the photo. Man, get a warm daylight, put it alot closer and um, more lights, thats not enough light for those plants

sounds like u need ventilation :P and air movment

the reverse cycle air con is always on so there is plenty of air movement

sry, i didn't look at the photo. Man, get a warm daylight, put it alot closer and um, more lights, thats not enough light for those plants

well even with one light im getting brown spots, so more lights will mean more brown spots :wacko:

what plant are the brown spots on?

and do all the plants in the photo require Identical conditions?

I doubt the plants are getting the brown spots due to the lights. I'd say it's another environmental factor doing that. Spots sounds like a fungal infection or insect attack. A close up would be good.

i just did a google search and i think i wasnt watering it enough. over the past 2 days iv barely been home so i didnt water it as much as usual. this only happened since i got the light 2 days ago. ill see how it goes in the next few days

6.5 k should be alright, but it is a vegitating spectrum, so you should be having the light on for atleast 18 hours a day and off for 6 to mimick summer, or get 2700-3500 k to replicate winter with 12 on 12 off.

how many watts is that light? Keep in mind spiral CFL's are not as good as the u-ram(usually 3 straight horshoe t5 tubes).

48 watt (220watt equiv) will be enough, if you put a bit of mylar or panda (white plastic) in there to reflect all the light back on em.

Keep the bulb as close to all plants as possible without actually touching it.

Recomned a fan ovedr them for circulation

• Like 1

hmm, i think scoo1, is a beginner.

normal lamp holders like in your pic, will not work well.

you should go to the next big lightning retailer or your next pet/ aquarium store, and get decent fluros.

i say get, 4 standard fluros, but diy skill's are needed for sure.

• Like 1

6.5 k should be alright, but it is a vegitating spectrum, so you should be having the light on for atleast 18 hours a day and off for 6 to mimick summer, or get 2700-3500 k to replicate winter with 12 on 12 off.

how many watts is that light? Keep in mind spiral CFL's are not as good as the u-ram(usually 3 straight horshoe t5 tubes).

48 watt (220watt equiv) will be enough, if you put a bit of mylar or panda (white plastic) in there to reflect all the light back on em.

Keep the bulb as close to all plants as possible without actually touching it.

Recomned a fan ovedr them for circulation

Would the light be to intense that close for the Caapi? Im think the Calea would like it tho.

Also before you start watering again check that the plant isn't already waterlogged. Big pots and little plants inside often don't get the opportunity to dry out properly. If you notice leaf drop in a week or so my money is wet feet may be a part of the problem.