The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Khala

Potential Subs

Question

Found in a garden bed/woodchip/mulch type arrangement. There was a patch of about 200-300 of these all at different ages, along with several orange mushrooms and what I took to be galerinas possibly. Popped up following about a weeks worth of heavy rain.

The photos were taken by a friend who collected them in a ziplock bag, hence all the bruising/bluing and disformation. Most of the samples were quite mature (caps beginning to flare at ends, most had blued caps)

Bruise blue intensely, brown flat caps with a darker centre, white stems, clumping nature (growing in close proximity), when wet cap is quite slimy. Unable to take a spore print due to the rain washing away any spores. Early June conditions indicate subs, as well as the mid north coast NSW environment. Thoughts?

I'm 99% sure they are psilocybe subaeringosa.

post-9652-0-29046500-1339571980_thumb.jp

post-9652-0-98867200-1339572018_thumb.jp

Thanks.

post-9652-0-29046500-1339571980_thumb.jpg

post-9652-0-98867200-1339572018_thumb.jpg

post-9652-0-29046500-1339571980_thumb.jpg

post-9652-0-98867200-1339572018_thumb.jpg

Edited by Khala

8 answers to this question

looks like you got the goods would help to see some fresher ones though

bruising looks good

print em and get some pics of some fresher ones if your not 100% sure of wat you got

They do look like them but they are so munted I'd put what your friend got in a blender and go back to the patch, spread the mush around and wait for a second flush :) but that's just me.

Sounds like your friend found a nice little hangout :)

Will ask him to do so. He said he spotted them from 100m away, and thought...golly gosh, could it be?

However, the patch is directly in front of where everyone sits and so it's mighty suspiscious to collect them.

They are not all this mushy it will just be difficult to collect cautiously without being conspicuous.

I'll attempt to get hold of a print. To tell my friend, what is a good container to use to collect them? Just a tupperware container?

No one else has blinked an eye at them.

dont put them in a plastic bag or container when theyre fresh

if you can just wak em in a paper bag

Okay, thanks for the advice. Will pass that along. They are at the college I attend, and about 10m in front of the eating area in a raised garden bed at eye level, and EVERYONE can see. Hopefully no one notices, no one noticed my friend today, he just waited for a less busy time.

If spore print is purple-brown then I guess it's confirmed. Will update the thread if/when I find out.

Thanks everyone.

firstly, not worth eating

I don't feel comfortable making a judgement on those specimens, find some fresher ones and post them.

Distracted, no intention of consumption. For research purposes only.

Also, it's worth noting that I have done pretty extensive research on mycological identification and saw these to be Subs from a distance, but as my first encounter with the subs wanted confirmation. Even in their natural undamaged state they exhibited bluing from the harsh rain we've been experiencing.

Edited by Khala