The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Getafix

Validus/Taquimbalensis from seed

Hey all,

Has anyone had any success trying to grow Validus and Taquimbalensis from seed?

I have tried twice from seed I managed to import into NZ from the USA with no success.

Now in Aus and keen to try again but wondered if anyone knew a source of viable seed?

I raised hundreds of Trichs from seed so like to think my methods are okay but no luck with these two.

Cheers

Hi Getafix, you can get viable Validus seed from Sacred Succulents. As far as i know, its the only viable seed on the market. If you had no luck with it, you gave up too early. The Validus seed i know takes a lot longer to germinate. Taquimbalensis seed can be bought from Köhres. It should be viable as well. Just tried their tacaquirensis and had decent results. Not great but alright. Takes more time to germinate as well though. bye Eg

Thanks for the advise, I may have given up too early based on my experience of other other Trich germination times.

Yes. I was about to throw it out when germinations started. This was like months after planting them. And it was extremely hot.

Edited by Evil Genius

Oh, okay, then I definately gave up too early!!

Will definately try again, I love taquimbalensis and see so few of them.

Validus I have never seen in the flesh but want to add to my collection.

Cheers

But i have to add germination rate was not very good. I had like 5 seedlings from 50 seed. Some GA-3 might increase the rate.

Why do you think such poor germination rates compared to other Trich's?

Maybe it just needs diffrent conditions because it usually grows at a diffrent region with diffrent climatic conditions. Change one little thing like germination temperature or the need of direct sunlight and you might get 0% germination rates with perfectly good seed. Could also be that there is no real source for fresh seed on the market so most seed might probably be older. Bought thousand of Validus seeds and i assume most of it was originally harvested from Friedrich Ritter like 30-50 years ago.

Edited by Evil Genius

@getafix

Wait, is the big Taquimbalensis I got from you not seed grown? Awww i thought it was one of yer babies!

Validus seed I got from you I think EG sprouted over the same amount of time as other Trichos sowed on the same date. Not as high germ rates tho.

Edited by centipede

Validus seed I got from you I think EG sprouted over the same amount of time as other Trichos sowed on the same date. Not as high germ rates tho.

Thats astonishing. That seed did not give me any germinations yet. Like i said, its probably 40 years old. Seems the treatment with GA-3 that i made before i sent it really helped.

@getafix

Wait, is the big Taquimbalensis I got from you not seed grown? Awww i thought it was one of yer babies!

Hey mate,

That giant Taquimbalensis came from a cuting I bought from Coramandel Cactus, wish I had had the pleasure of growing that monster from seed!!

Centipede,

Completely off the subject, kind off, but just bought two Peruviuan crests off Ebay. One looks like that 4 headed Terschekii I sold to you, quite mutated for a crest

Didn't have these crests back home in NZ

I got some seeds in a giveaway last year labelled C.Validus, is this the same as you guys are talking about?

Mine germd within a week of sowing. They reached the top of the lunchbox in no time

Heres a pic of them I took last week:

dbf44f84.jpg

Sacred Succulents will also perhaps have at least one or more taquimbalensis hybrids last time I checked. I also had no germination from their standard Vvlidus seed last time I sowed, so maybe they're very specific in their germination requirements. Maybe their wild-collected is fresher. Just my 2c. :)