The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Jonstn

Cactus found at local garden store

Question

Hey all just wondering if anyone could tell me what this is? The only labelling on it was $70 lol, this place is an epic rip off, just wanted to check out their $1500 bonsai, did look pretty good though.

6c310bb6.jpg

Sorry for poor pic quality, phone + poor lighting :wacko:

7 answers to this question

Hi Jonstn, it looks like an Euphorbia of some kind. Im not very familiar with them but have planted some for the first time this year. Bye Eg

Edit: It has similarities to Euphorbia Lactea but thats just a wild guess.

Edited by Evil Genius

Euphorbia lactea cristata ?

I bought a variegated form from a market bout a month ago. It's only bout 6" high & wide, I think I paid about $15 for it. I'm told the variegated grow slower, due to less ability to photosynthesise....so I was told.

On second glance, it looks grafted... :scratchhead:

Edited by space cadet 101

theres heaps of those on ebay at the moment search cactus crest on ebay and you'll see heaps of em

Oh yeah forgot to mention its grafted.

It's pretty big, almost the size of my head, I got a pretty big head though haha

Yeah definitely a Euphorbia crest. I don't think enough people on SAB grow Euphorbias, so could be well worth it.

Once I get my glasshouse set up, and some spare time, I may start getting a few together. I especially like some of the more columnar "cacti-like" ones.

I might have to jump on it then, is $70 reasonable? The place that is selling is notorious for overpricing the shit out of everything.

ive actually never seen such nice specimens of this.....and usually the ones sold everywhere are Euphorbia lactea crestata, either white(Cul. ghost) or red(Var. rubra), so a green one of that size is quite nice...being as its a graft (dont know if its possible on its own legs, but i assume it is)and quite large, i would price this at around $50, and being less common, i could be wrong. Bunnings would prob sell something like this for about $65-75

EDIT: i looked again, and the cresting on this looks like it is almost spiralling aswell, but i probably would go as far as to label it that also

Edited by 2Deep2Handle