The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Trayto

Compost for dung lover warmth

I recently had some shaggy manes pop up in my compost and it made me begin to wonder if the following idea would be possible/viable. Ill give you the rundown on my train of thought.

A while back purchased some cubensis spores that have only just arrived. I was planning on attempting an outdoor grow some dung lovers like Agaricus bisporus but its getting a little late in the season. I was wondering if it would be possible to use the heat generated by the decomposing compost, and the heat of the sun that is trapped inside the black compost "container" to support growth out of the normal season. I was thinking that if I laid some pasturised and cow manure/hay mix layer by layer (innoculating as i go with spawn) on top of the compost and then replaced the lid that enought heat should be trapped within the composter to support the mycelial growth. I would then check the progress and finally water the heap and again replace the lid to induce fruiting.

Just an idea...i was getting psyched on a dung lover grow but worried the warm weather wouldnt hold out long enough for me

Edited by Trayto

cultivation of psilocybe mushrooms (and any other psilocybin/psilocin/baeocystin/norbaeocystin mushroom) is illegal and advertising that you plan to do so probably isn't the best move. perhaps it would have been best to phrase your question as a hypothetical ie 'if one were to ..... would ...... result' and i would probably edit your post to reflect this.

anyway, i can't help you with your question, but good luck finding an answer.

dionysus

• Like 1

Well the lid would have to be seethrough... whilst colonising cube mycelium likes it to be fairy anaerobic, the air breeze induces fruiting, so growing mycelium is theoretically possible but to induce fruiting it needs to be exposed to light and have plenty of free air exchange.

The problem i could see happening is that the cube mycelium might not be as proliffic as the other mycelium and organisms in the compost.

I have no practical experience innoculating compost bins. if you simply google that term you could probably find a tek for oysters, then just apply it to your mushroom of choice :P

Edited by Distracted

I never intended to cultivate psilocybe muschrooms of any type. I just said I received some spores. I wanted to cultivate some dung lovers and had an idea about how to naturally boost the heat for my outdoor grow. Anyhow the post has been edited and im sure it read better now. I know what my favourite type of dung lovers are though :wink:

• Like 1