The Corroboree
Bogsnorkler

Nymphaea: spontaneous hybridisation?

Just wondering who has experience with water lilies and hybridisation. Reason is I'm going to have a go at re-establishing a small population of the native ones (N.gigantea).

Now of course I was worried about them getting messed up by the widespread N. caerulea (and possibly N. capensis) that are all over the place. I've done a bit of searching online, and most sources seem to say that species in one subgenera within the Nymphaea genus will not hybridise with species in another subgenera.

Since N. caerulea and N. capensis are from Nymphaea subg. Brachyceras, and since N.gigantea is from Nymphaea subg. Anecphya, then according to the boffins I shouldn't have any worries.

This would also apply to any stray "hardy" lilies, which are from Nymphaea subg. Nymphaea. They shouldn't hybridise with any of the above.

Anyone got an opinion on this?

I don't know about the ease with which Nymphaea hybridise, but I think the question is, are you going to avoid a regeneration project for fear the weeds may hybridise with the native plant? Because the alternative is to just let the weeds take over.

Hybridisation isn't all bad for the plants themselves, sometimes a new strain evolves which is hardier that the parents. I guess this is how nature works, we are just giving a helping hand when moving stuff around?

I am worried about our ecosystems. On the one hand we seem to be causing mayhem with our introduced weeds and so on, on the other hand climate change and other environmental destruction could be offset by the fact we do move genetic material all over the place which allows nature in some form to recolonise more easily and keep the natural cycles of water, nitrogen and carbon continuing.