The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
opiumfreak

what do indians drink?

I would like to know what the indian in amazon etc drink? anyone heard of chicha? its a drink on corn sometimes alcoholic Do they drink rum or what?

by the way agwa de bolivia is decocanized

Edited by opiumfreak

I would like to know what the indian in amazon etc drink? anyone heard of chicha? its a drink on corn sometimes alcoholic Do they drink rum or what?

by the way agwa de bolivia is decocanized

do you mean cachaca (spelling might be a bit wrong)? it is very similar to rum, but instead of being made from molasses it is made straight from the juice of the sugar cane. i'm not the biggest fan, it is very strong tasting, but others disagree and it is the most popular alcoholic beverage in brazil.

yep, chicha morada, is probably the best (soft) drink i ever had, it's made from dark corn.

my favorite alcoholic beverage over there is canela (spell?) cane sugar schnapps, served with hot water lemon orange drink. they got good rum aswell, all over south america.

yep, chicha morada, is probably the best (soft) drink i ever had, it's made from dark corn.

my favorite alcoholic beverage over there is canela (spell?) cane sugar schnapps, served with hot water lemon orange drink. they got good rum aswell, all over south america.

have you also had the alcoholic variety(s) of chicha? i think it is prepared somewhat similar to beer, only using corn instead of barley. i would be pretty interested to try some chicha fermented or not, it sounds nice.

'canela' could also be a synonym for 'cachaca', i am under the impression there is a lot of different names and it is a very popular style of distilled liquor in brazil

chicha as i know it is made by women who chew up corn & spit it into a vat which is then fermented.. i haven't tried it myself but a peruvian friend swears by it

edit to say your thread title is pretty vague.. imo 'indians' is a pretty outdated term unless we're talking about people from india.. indigena's might be more descriptive & polite...

Edited by paradox
  • Like 1

nupe, i never had the alcoholic chicha, but the one i had was a bit fermented.

there are many different chichas, some come even in instant powder form, which are said to be not as good as the manual prepared one. when i asked about the spit fermented chicha, all people asked, distanced themselves from this topic... chicha sold in public is 100% saliva free!

but tribal chicha probably is spit fermented.